Thread: Welders
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 10:33 AM

Dave Bross is on a distinguished road
The old red Lincoln "jukebox" welder is probably one of the best general light duty stick welders for the money. You really don't need DC, just AC, and that makes it much more economical. They're not what they used to be (aluminum windings instead of copper...I think?) but still very good. You won't be using it at anywhere near its maximum capacity. Best bet is if you can find an older unit or better yet an older unit of any brand that has a crank wheel on top for infinite adjustment of heat.

I don't know how much you know about stick welding but I would suggest using 7014 or 7018 rods. Much easier to weld with and stronger than the traditional 6011 or 6013. Use a rod at least one size under 1/8" (can't remember the actual size)for most of what you'll probably be doing, and even smaller for your display work. If you need more weld area, multiple passes actually anneal the passes before them, and the tiny stuff will weld better with the smaller rods.

Get yourself a chop saw. You'll be ready to conquer the world, or at least weld it together on a small scale. I haven't cut anything with a torch since I gave up the scrap metal business. The torch cuts have to be ground after cutting, hence one advantage of the chop saw. Not to mention the expense and hassle of having available bottled oxy/acetylene or propane. One pass and done with the chop saw. Mitering (angles)capabilities with the chop saw too. I won't even go into all my non-OSHA approved behaviors with the chop saw, but let's just say it has amazing versatility on a number of fronts. Eye protection mandatory. If the chop saw wheel blows apart from some marginal operator behavior or just from a flaw (it happens)you'll be glad your eyes were covered.