Thread: Blue Sulphur
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:38 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
well, that batch of mine, which I haven't really used since around 2004 is chock full of bases, not acids. I can see sulfates and sulfides forming in lots of spots.

I'm still not really clear on what you call elemental sulfur. Exposed to atmosphere most elements combine with the atmospheric moisture, or combine with other elements. I don't know how to do that without issues. The only sulfur I've ever seen is yellow up around the helper point on the DRG &W in western Colorado. Lots of it there.
I will be fascinated if it works and does something useful.
I'm fuzzy on it but it seems to me that the 9.06 on the lime referred to actually calcium carbonate. It would be less if it was the hydrate since it gets more calcium per weighed lb than the carb does. It matters. 6.78 lb rings a bell. It's been a long time since I've considered that stuff but I think you should examine the percentages in the formula. I'm a bit spent from an afternoon making sconces for a wedding.
Mole chemistry has you add up all of the atoms in the proposed mix and then calculate the weights of them. It's quite different than doing percentages by deadweight. It does make one appreciate how much oxygen is in the glass. If you go that route, best to use Appen for your expansion factors.