View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
If I had to decolorize, I'd use Erbium. I think 8 grams per 100 lbs is not that much to spend on.

I have on numerous occasions tried to make a cerium Titanium yellow and never had any success at all. I am not sure what Cristalica uses for a fining agent. I would have used antimony trioxide as my tool of choice but it is popular now to use sodium sulfate AKA saltcake. Now I just tried that at a friends suggestion on a reducing glass and it really discolored it badly to where I won't try that again. I think I put 50 grams of saltcake in 80lbs of a selenium pink glass, replacing 50 grams of sodium carbonate so I did not consider that to be a lot of S03 being replaced. It really darkened it badly. I have the spec sheet on the Cristalica and don't see anything there that would cause a yellow tone as I see it. I would not think having black tin in your reducing clear should be a source either, but if you say it's yellow, it's yellow. Iron can do strange things and it certainly has a bunch of valence states.

Weyl is a tough read. You will do it many many times if you are serious. I found after about ten years it made more sense. The problem I have is particularly with the treatment of silver. Both Volf and Weyl act as if it's a renegade to be avoided and I think the renegade part is true but don't think you're going to settle in with some consistency, you won't. It will go south on you in a heartbeat.

In the Joy of cooking, Julia Childs offers up an interesting recipe for mayonnaise. It is straight forward enough until you get to this cryptic observation " "Don't bother trying to make mayonnaise in an electrical storm".

I have certainly been known to have trouble with some colors when the barometer falls. Less air pressure is less air in the blower. She's into ionization.

I think the price on Volf is stable. Mine is hardbound and he printed 20 of them but I had thought the paperback was less. He may be running out. Those things all have the life of a mayfly. If you can find "Recipes" by Finn Lyngaard, grab it. Igneous glass had a limited number of copies Finn's widow sold him. Finn is dead and gone but the Thuringen recipes are just jewels. It is in the Rakow in the original German. Volf , I've seen as the 1981 original priced at $2,000 or more.