View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Scholes made the only presentation that the studio movement used. Books like Morey simply weren't being read. The early Kugler had NO references to expansion factors. It just magically fit. Expansion really entered the mainstream as something to measure after Paul's article. Again, Nick would always say he didn't know why high lead glasses had such tolerance, just that they did. Once Nick made the initial SP batch formula ( I believe SP92), expansion and compatibility became common in discussions in private shops, but not much in the schools that continued to say things like "It's OK to put the purple over the yellow but not the yellow over the Purple". In any of my time at Pilchuck- 77-78 it was never mentioned once. but the private shops that made their own color knew. I don't think at the time that private shops were much into casting and so the annealing- viscosity issues were not on the table. The Manners article really brought it upfront. These days if I talk about measuring viscosity, people's eyes glaze over.

Sorry about Bendheim. I really couldn't remember the spelling and tried it both ways. I do remember them having color rods way before Loo though. If it was Zimmermann, it's possible. At that time Zimmermann was flakey, cordy and sometimes stone ridden. We said it had character. I always liked their colors better than Klaus's.

I brought a load in once thru a friend stationed in Oberamagau and he was to ship us about 40 KG. His garage caught fire and the whole thing turned into one big block which he shipped us anyway. We would whack off chunks with a big chisel. I remember the airfreight and customs part too.

But Lani, why the interest outside of the fact that you guys have a proprietary interest and don't really think L.E.C. is all that critical compared to viscosity- which may be because you tend to work with big long flat sheets that can really drag themselves around a lot.