View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 PM

Brian Wong Shui is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
Brian, thanks so much for your help. I’ve been down there a couple times now and sure wish I would’ve bumped into you…

I’m getting close to tackling the door and s/s front. The expansion is something to ponder for sure…and the weight of the door too, maybe a counter weight on the backside of the bridge assembly.

The skin is 26 ga.coil stock from the local metal roofing supply house, probably should have gone with something heavier, (16ga.nmaybe??) anyway, fastened with a strap and 2- ¼-20x5/8” ea. I’m guessing the skin is in four sections for expansion, otherwise a sheet of stainless would have been a bunch quicker and less hassle…but then wrenching all the nuts down kept my middle granddaughter busy.
Lawrence,

26GA is awfully thin. Our furnace skin is at least 11GA if not closer to .125" (I'm going off of memory here). Remember that the skin is holding the 3 castings on the inside together. You might think that they are heavy and won't move but they will.

Did you use the correct fiber against the castings? Inswool HP (or equivalent) won't cut it. The continuous operating temperature limit for HP is 2150F. Use something like a Inswool HTZ which has a continuous operation temperature limit of 2450F.