View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Don Geiger is on a distinguished road
Thank you and a follow up question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Those damn archives again!

Every single atom that goes into any given glass helps determine what colors can be made with them. There is no panacea and not even close to one. It strikes me that if you want to seal colorants in the tube, they had best be the pure metals with no oxides to gas out. You're going to need a seriously accurate scale, not one of those drug tools.
Expansion does not matter in coloring just the glass bones. Some of these atoms are quite toxic in proximity to your nose by the way.

And yes, the Ladies in the Rakow are truly remarkable. A great source of pride for me was when John Bingham, Henry Summa and I donated all the proceeds from selling the Hot Glass Information Exchange to the Rakow which allowed them to buy their first computer.

If you are indeed serious, buy Volf before it's gone.
Pete,

Thank you!

Is this the Volf you recommended, Milos Bohuslav Volf?

If yes, which of his three books do you recommend I start with? The first two look very interesting but... At those prices it will have to be one at a time over a period of time. The second one looks like it might be a companion to and an update for Weyl's Coloured Glass. {I had to dig out my CRC Handbook for Weyl}

Mathematical Approach to Glass (Glass Science and Technology, Vol 9)
Milos Bohuslav Volf
ISBN 10: 044498951X / ISBN 13: 9780444989512
Published by Elsevier Science Ltd, 1988

Chemical Approach to Glass
Milos Bohuslav Volf
ISBN 10: 0983703809 / ISBN 13: 9780983703808
Published by Igneous Glassworks, 2011

Technical Approach to Glass (Glass Science and Technology)
Volf, Milos Bohuslav
ISBN 10: 044498805X / ISBN 13: 9780444988058
Published by Elsevier Science Ltd, U.S.A., 1990

Thank you for the heads up on ventilation and out-gassing.

Ventilation is way up there as a requirement.

I'd not considered out-gassing.

Measuring chemicals, yes sir.

Please correct me if I am going astray. John Burton and Suellen Fowler use a tube length of about 1/2 inch without an ID for their demos. From what I've learned here already: establish a percentage of whatever is being used to make a color for total weight used in whichever source I am working from; the way they mix the colors results in some of the punties being melted in so the weight will have to be the tube used and with some experience an estimate for the punties consumed in the process; and, it sure looks like the application will be in very few grams each.

Once again thank you for your time and shared wisdom.

Cheers,

Don