View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 PM

Don Geiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I can't say much. Mixing colors at a torch is not something I've done. Nominally, gold rubies require leaded glasses to make a good ruby although some literature supports the notion of a weak ruby from it. I mix up gold sands to make my base additive of gold and that's described in Fynn Lynnaard's translation of the Thuringen notes of Wilhelm Schmidt. I certainly expect that the Rakow has that book. It will only tell you about batch and additives, nothing else.

I don't know quantitatively how one would measure fuming onto glass to obtain color consistently but it sound to me like that's what you want to do. Folks do it with silver and I believe do it with either a chloride or a bromide lump. Gold as a chloride is normally in an aequous solution, not a solid, or at least I've not seen one as a solid in years. Normally gold is weighed as a "Dwt" or a penny weight. 16 pennyweights to the Oz. It's perverse.
Pete,

Thanks to Larry, further on in this thread, I located Suellen Fowler demonstrating what I am interested in doing. The YouTube video is about five minutes long and she is using metallic oxides. To be blunt she and her mentor are using what I call slop chemistry. Reproducibility is problematic at best. But, based on what I've learned here I think I can get close to reproducible results.

Anyway, if you can spare five minutes here is the URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqMb44gg18

As always, many thanks.

Cheers,

Don