View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 AM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Harroun View Post

Furnace dimensions, approx: 50" tall, 50" OD, 24" ID.

Wall will be 3" Kast-o-lite 30: 2.945 cu ft. Surround that with 10" of frax, and some sheet metal.

Crown will be ...dunno what yet. Phlocast, Mizzou? ~2 cu ft. With similar frax over lay and a very artistic metal shell.

base will be Kast-o-lite, IFB and hard brick....

Cast various parts from what I have left....

Need advice on burner heads.

will add more as needed, including pics if they'er allowed

-Doug
Welcome to the board! It's think it's great your documenting your build. I always learn a little more with everyone.

Kast-o-lite 30 make sure there are several varieties.

You need to think about your floor. It will see glass and kast-o-lite won't hold it back. Some use mizzou or a ramable clay I used a few inches of mizzou over 2800 brick on our last build (only because they are salvage). Don't forget to cast a drain port this to will need to be resistant to glass attack. You also want to angle your base towards the drain. I placed mine on the back of the furnace with a fiber plug. I do think most have the cleanout in the front.

I used kast-o-lite 30 for my crown and never had a problem. If you want extra strength you can cast a dome shape on the top. I also used it for my door. For a sill I like to use a large clipper brick but there are several castables you can use. .

Burner. I would scrap that idea and go with electric. Seriously you may want to look at gas prices and compare to what you pay a kilowatt hour.