View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 01:31 PM

Marc Leva is on a distinguished road
It started on Mt. Palomar

Here's my convoluted theory.

Dr. Schuler (Ph.D U Wisconsin'49) was senior research associate of the Fundamental Chemistry Group, Corning Glass Works from '53-'56 and administrator of the Scientific Research Program, Corning Museum of Glass from '56-'58. While with the museum he met F. Carder and had a chance to work on casting in his workshop. His wife also worked at Corning in a scientific capacity.(from the dust cover)
He did other types of art (drawing, clay, etc.) for several years and the started doing flamework in '67 which led to him writing a book on flameworking. Then he started doing casting again. Also in '67 at Corning 2 large cast disc were made. 1 - 157 inches dia. X 25 inches thick, 1 - 144 inches dia. X 20 inches thick. The first weighed 18 tons; the second , about 12 3/4 tons. They made them from smaller pieces of glassy (not crystalline) silica that were preshaped, arranged in the mold and fused together. Glassy silica was used, among other qualities, for its low expansion. Its expansion is 4 and I think the Palomar was boro at about 30.
The book has many qualifiers when it talks about COE. Its mostly in the context of enameling on glass or casting. It also has charts and grafts and comparisons of all kinds of different things until it starts to take on a bibilical effect. If you take a passage from the front and pair it with an unrelated graph in the appendicies and then confirm it with a paragraph from the back on a different technique, well hell, things start to make a weird kind of sense. Different qualities take on strange proportions. And I think for Schuler, at least, he was impressed with the whole glassy silica lenses low COE and its in his book alot.
Living down here 240 miles south of bum****, I didn't get this book until it was recommended to me by James Broadwell at Ruthglass. That was in '81. There just wasn't any information for casters and this was an incredibly helpful book. I don't know when David Ruth started making glass but the book was there in '70 and Schuler was living in Santa Barbara, Ca.
Just a guess.