View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The flawed cullet is showing up in bags that are dated over a six month period. That in my mind is a long time if that's your business.

When Spruce Pine was having quality control issues melting at Fenton, They voluntarily withdrew the product from the market almost immediately.

If you have 200 seconds made from a glass where you only make one gather pieces, that's a lot of seconds.

I see no signs of change here at all. I do hear that OCR has replaced or will replace glass for two clients. I see no information coming forth regarding correcting the problem. That would be nice.

I don't have a dog of any kind in this fight. I use neither cullet or commercial batches. While I do agree that all manufacturers have production issues from time to time, I would say that it's not so much that the errors occurred, it's a question of what the company does after the errors have occurred. I happen to think six months is a long time when that's all you do.

In my experience, I have found stones to be hard to see frequently when you're in the middle of a piece, particularly a large one. I have found it really difficult to remove stones from large pieces without doing substantive damage to the design of the piece as well. What I do know is that a potential buyer will find them every time and if they are of sufficient size, the piece will likely check.

So, Sky, we simply disagree. I haven't seen any statement from Spectrum at all.