Thread: cullet shortage
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 04:25 PM

Peter Kuchinke is on a distinguished road
From the Cristalica maker

I have followed this - and other forums - closely for years.
Today I feel it might be of interest to explain a little and give the possibility of open discussion.
In 2001 I started to make "cullet on purpose", because swedish studioglassmakers could not buy anymore cullet from the manufactures in Smaaland, Sweden.
Since that first production in a very large production furnace at a rate of 30 metric tons a day. a 300 ton melt was done to help studioglassmakers to reduce cost for energy and crucibles.
In 2003 another 500 tons, in 2005 another 400 tons and in 2007 600 tons were made in Europe at a Fiber glass plant.
Many studioglass artists liked it ----but you can never compare quality to what a Glasma batch can do.
In 2010 the Cristalica plant at Döbern Germany started to make a simular glass, under my supervision and upon my recipe with a low boron content (1.2%) at a rate of 2 tons a day.
Spektrum made a very simular glass to that ----(spektrum 2.0 has 2% less Kalium and 2% more Natrium-- and I have absolutely nothing to say about it, it honors me. Also as an ecologist I think its a good idea to have another place in the world to do that product.
Now Spectrum does not produce anymore-one reason is of course that this business is very difficult to make a profitable production out of it .
The capacity of Cristalica is expanded to 5 tons/ day and can be expanded even more.
Please feel free to ask whatever questions you wish to ask!!
About Boron? Sure !
There will be a second recipe without boron, I have wanted to make it for ages, but with orders coming in, there has not been a chance.

One answer about Glasma 705 I want to give straight away (it contains boron) : The reason why it melts so low (here in Boda we melt it at 1260 over night) is that it is agglormerated batch not to be compared with loose batch, agglomerated batch is made in a different way, adding a higher amount of umidity and later drying it out makes bigger granules which heat up faster and melt down much easier, that is one of several answers...

Best regards
Peter Kuchinke
glassmaker