View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 06:58 PM
David Williams

But, I don't think its all that much more complicated than wiring your average control system with a relay and a safety circuit. I think with some experience building control systems and a bit of help from experts like Steve it is easily doable on your own. Easier if you can fly in your expert. The theoretical part is harder. Understanding the interplay between the scr and the transformer has always been difficult for me, and I let that fear rule out a moly furnace for a long time. But Steves lecture notes made it a bit easier, along with the realization that I don't need to understand every last theoretical detail of how it works to feel comfortable with it in my studio. I think I had that epiphany when I was up at Bills who is a great gadget guy and inventor, and I asked him some esoteric question about the moly and he just shrugged his shoulders. I figured if he could live with that, I could too.

Ps. Take it all with a grain of salt, I may be eating my words. I'm going to pick up my moly furnace castings etc in Portland over the holidays and start building it when I get back. Meantime I'm still nursing the wire. Which by the way should be for sale in the spring.