View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Kevin Bethea

Thanks Dave and Pete. I see how the numbers could really mess me up. I posted the process hoping it could be corrected if wrong. I think for what we have at school the variation is acceptable to others since we can't mix much more than 20 something pounds and the inaccuracy in the cobalt isn't as noticeable. I see how it could really mess things up though. I've definitely got it in my notes now. I converted the stuff Pete gave me into percentages and I see how my simplified math can change things too. Thanks for the quick math lesson. I had to fix our scale because it bottomed out at 0 so you could dump in any amount and it would stop and looked balanced. It was simple to correct. A partner of one of our visiting artists attended Pete's color class so he had read all of my questions and pointed out the different colors he used in his work and told me the colorants used. The neodymium oxide color is really pretty. I see what you meant about it not being a casing color but it was awesome the way he used it. The red in our color book is a real strange red from the color samples I have seen. it is more of an opaque brownish red color but not very appelaing to me. The recipie was actually written in the book twice but we still haven't mixed it yet. I am not sure where our sifter is but there were notes to make sure that we sift the stuff first. I'll post a sample of what it looks like if we make some but I won't add anything else to my copper ruby when I get the black tin and try to melt that. I didn't want to add anything to the teal except the copper carbonate but I got out voted. Next time I will cut back on the percentage of copper, not add anything else, and see if it comes out closer to an ice blue. Thanks for all of the help.
Kevin Bethea