View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 09:30 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
When Chuck and I were doing the color rods, we did try the encapsulated stuff at the time. It seems to me that's a fancy word for compounded metallic and non metallic oxides and that was in use in early color work books that I have.
I do have things like Barium selenite, zinc selenite and sodium selenite which are currently in the keeping of Kenny Pieper waiting for me to drive to Penland. Cadmium needs sulfur and not in the proportion offered in CdS.
I'm not so sure about the glaze formulas being totally helpful. Glazes are thin and a pot of glass is really going to be affected by local conditions rather than furnace atmosphere if it's more than an inch thick. The photos you have indicate an incredibly light color to me or I would imagine the glasses in the pots being quite opaque against the crucible background. What were the costs on the stuff like?

The materials were sold off by Fenton glass last year which is where I got them. They had some really esoteric items like Antimony coins and I was never clear on how they would be used. Fenton did make nice colors.

In conversation with John down in Auckland, he had looked at a French company marketing the encapsulated items and said the were pretty cagey about what the materials actually were. Fero would never cop to making those frits at all. John Triggs used to make stuff up for Bullseye at Yogioheny.

I still have a rather large holding of CdS and selenium metal along with some Zinc Selenite and little demand for the colors anymore outside our own meager shop needs that I doubt I will ever get into them, but I absolutely applaud your study of it. It seems to me that the Pacific NW is certainly under scrutiny after the Bullseye/Uroboros incidents and the boro guys will continue to get watched. They have certainly made some nice reds in Boro.

I certainly do think that the base glass in soft glass is critical for success in making the color really good. For me, if the glass isn't high in Potash as well as Zinc, it's going to be a tough go to make the color look good. If one looks at selenium glasses in both soda and Potash, it's easy to see what you want to hang on to. I think the same of trying to make gold colored glasses without lead. Those are pretty good incentives to make the base glass yourself as opposed to using cullet. Cullet ties one hand behind your back at the onset.