CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
How to proceed

So, our State legislature gave Eversource" some new power when it also allowed customers to buy electricity from whoever they wanted. My studio is on a separate meter from the house and has a different rate structure. My house panel is maxed out so I can't run anything out to the barn.

What I get now is usurous. Last month I used 1100KW total power and had a power charge of about 115.00 dollars. However the power company charged me for "delivery" at over $300 dollars.
My plumber has the same usage and his electric bill was about $115.00- period but he got curious and called the power co and here is what he was told.

In my studio, given the rate and classification, the moment of my highest usage will define my rate for the billable period so, if I turn on Mary Beth's kiln, even for ten minutes, all the remaining usage will be billed at the rate for that highest draw. If this occurs when I may have the annealer running at all, it gets really remarkable.

So, I'm considering removing or disabling the electric hot water heater and trying to figure out how to run the kiln effectively. I'll install a demand hot water heater. In the period I just cited, she ran it once that month. I'm back to those thoughts of using as little electricity as possible and boosting the temperatures with a venturi.

Gary said I get a new rate usage every month based on the peak usage and the bill will show the date the meter reading occurs. I may actually move the studio fridge back to the basement in the house, a real nuisance. I'll stop leaving the compressor to run and maintain pressure but just turn it on when I need compressed air.

All for the investors of course.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:08 PM

Mark Rendulic is on a distinguished road
We had the same issue in Phoenix. We installed a load meter that would automatically cut power to "non essential" appliances when you approached a pre-programmed peak usage. We had it shut off hot water, dryer, pool pump, and a couple of other circuits that I don't recall at the moment. It paid for itself quickly. This was about 15 years ago so there may be better technology now. Your friendly electric company may even provide this service for you.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Philip Yamron is on a distinguished road
Would it be cost effective to add a second panel at the house?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:54 PM
The Old Gaffer

I have a 30KW onan generator fired by propane next to the building. I bought it as a backup. Now? I may use it for beginning powerups for kilns and use the 400 AMP service in the building to finish the process. Basic wire element requirements won't fuzz up the electronics. It's just watts.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:42 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Thats criminal!
Old 01-17-2020, 06:23 PM
The Old Gaffer

It's part of government supporting corporations in ways that aren't immediately obvious.

We have small wood burning facilities here, all over New Hampshire that process the slash from logging. Logging is the real deal here. We process pine boards for building and this is the great North woods. Our power company by government decree was given deals to allow ostensible "choice' on where one bought power. That sham was dealtmwith by allowing the power company to charge for unused power and potential needs for businesses althought eh pwoer company never generates that power, it's still allowed to charge for it. SO, in my case, if MB runs her kiln, we get charged at that peak rate for the entire month. SO, A 141 dollar usage gets an attachment of 330 plus dollars for delivery.
Then to increase the insult, our republican governor vetoed the bill allowing small pwer companies to process the slash and to sell the power back on the grid. Those plants will be closed.

That's your government, right now at work.
I will rehab the Onan generator with the ford straight six engine. . it runs on propane. IT'S 30kw. I can turn it off at night.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:42 PM

Im torch working mostly now and I try to use the smallest kiln I can for whatever Im making to obviously minimize my electric bill. Im a very small electric consumer compared to most so I dont really understand all of the regulatory wrangling going on here but charging for electricity that is NOT used should be illegal.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:47 PM
The Old Gaffer

It even has a line item : "Abandoned power"

One of the difficulties of using the flower pot technique is that the kiln needs to become fairly tall to accomodate both ceramic shell mold and the sprue stuff. The kilns for this frequently look like sprung arch ceramic kilns and are very often made of soft brick. Mr Bai in Shanghai had a large kiln for this and usually fired up to ten molds.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:26 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
To get around that I've used a larger pot and cut it down. There are also a lot of shallow "pot melt" molds now that my suit your needs.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 AM

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
If you can figure out when and how your electric company samples usage (once an minute; once an hour) then somehow tap into that schedule. Turn off the big consumers for the second or 2 it takes electric company to do their measurement, then turn them back on.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:32 PM

Rick Wilton is on a distinguished road
When I had a commercial bay the guys next door were on a demand meter, which consisted of little more than a needle gauge that would show the max amperage used between billing cycles. They found that if all of the workers started their machines up at the same time the max load was significantly higher than if the guys turned on the machine slower. You just didn't want 10 guys turning on high draw power tools at the same time. So after coffee they had a system to avoid everyone firing up at the same time.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:31 PM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
So, our State legislature gave Eversource" some new power when it also allowed customers to buy electricity from whoever they wanted.

I know this wonít help with your pain 😂. but iím glad you have a choice.

These Bradford pear trees at the entrance of my studio were an apparent threat to the co-op electric common wealth....so they destroyed them.
This is whatís left......🤪
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0E6537AE-D59A-4918-8199-232ABC0AC2AC.jpg (56.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2BEFC96A-8F1B-4CC5-9F36-D21A85F50584.jpg (63.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-25-2020, 07:53 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
I know this wonít help with your pain 😂. but iím glad you have a choice.

These Bradford pear trees at the entrance of my studio were an apparent threat to the co-op electric common wealth....so they destroyed them.
This is whatís left......🤪
Well, unless you use enough power, the alternatives don't want to deal with you. They won't take residential accounts period. Once you are commercial, the delivery company gouges you at much higher delivery rates.
I have a 30KW Onan propane generator and will investigate using it in the Spring by putting all the heavy draw tools on it. In the house, I've gotten a propane hot water heater and abandoned the electric one. The compressor no longer just cycles to maintain pressure. It's off unless I turn it on. Lights? They're out. LED's are replacing all the halogens and I don't like that for color but they're affordable. The hot water heater in the shop will be replaced with a demand heater on propane.
I do have excellent propane rates for here at least.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Well, unless you use enough power, the alternatives don't want to deal with you. They won't take residential accounts period. Once you are commercial, the delivery company gouges you at much higher delivery rates.
I have a 30KW Onan propane generator and will investigate using it in the Spring by putting all the heavy draw tools on it. In the house, I've gotten a propane hot water heater and abandoned the electric one. The compressor no longer just cycles to maintain pressure. It's off unless I turn it on. Lights? They're out. LED's are replacing all the halogens and I don't like that for color but they're affordable. The hot water heater in the shop will be replaced with a demand heater on propane.
I do have excellent propane rates for here at least.
Keep looking at the latest LED options. Every time I look I see that the options for color have been expanded. That technology is really still in its infancy and its growing every day almost. I just got some great floods in Daylight sun color for under my working hood that are excellent for seeing colors as I work. Thats critical for me since I am mixing metals on the fly and tweaking the mix to try to achieve a given color, value, or density.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:24 PM
The Old Gaffer

When I sold the moly control panel , one of the new owners graced me with crate after crate of LED bulbs which I have all over the place. I sure wish Doug would do that again. All from Cree.

What I have to spend money on now is the LED track transformers which run about $18.00 a pop. The Halogens, which I love are simply too expensive to operate. I probably need about forty of them