CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 AM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 21,066
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Rare Earths

Here's a bit from Reuters this morning on the magnificent trade war we have with China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1SR14A

While it's worth noting that rare earths aren't actually rare, they could get a lot pricier, so if you use Neodymium, you might want to check your stock and consider whether to get a bit more before the price goes up. That may be too late.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Josh Bernbaum Josh Bernbaum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brattleboro, VT
Posts: 606
Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
US Pigment lists currently at $60/LB for the 325 mesh Neo. Is that higher than it was? Haven't bought any of it in the past, but considered using some at some point, maybe I'll grab a few pounds.
__________________
www.jmbglass.com
instagram.com/joshbernbaum_glass
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 21,066
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
my last price was $8.00 a lb. I have quite a bit. Eveline just sent me about 10lbs of selenium from Shanghai. She never bills me at all.
Since Neodymium is used for magnets, it could be quite volatile.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Eric Trulson Eric Trulson is offline
Young Turk
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 101
Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
US Pigment lists currently at $60/LB for the 325 mesh Neo. Is that higher than it was? Haven't bought any of it in the past, but considered using some at some point, maybe I'll grab a few pounds.
That's the same price they were charging as of May 2018 (last time I updated my chemical supply list). At that time, it was $60/lb for the high-purity 325-mesh stuff (or $17/4oz, if you only want a small amount)

Worth noting that they also sell technical grade neo (95% purity) for $25/lb. I've called up and asked them about the other 5%, they said it would be primarily other rare earth elements, no iron (which was my primary concern). If I was going to buy some for a melt, I'd go with the technical grade, I expect the biggest difference you'd see would be very slight shifts in color tone, no serious muddying of the color or stone/cord formation or stuff like that.

Last edited by Eric Trulson; 05-21-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Couldn't resist giving my $0.02
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 21,066
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Iron is a curiosity as an additive. It has so many valence potentials that it was used in many colloidal glasses as a nucleating point. I have it in my calcedonia and copper ruby formulas as a trace. I actually think with the neo that there are quite a few more variations on percent purity. 95% would do just fine I think. It takes quite a lot though, up to 2% to get good color.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


All published comments within these message boards are the opinions of its contributor and does not represent
the opinion(s) of the owner(s) of this website. Please see the Terms of Use file for more details.

Books to Help Artists Avoid Online Scams: Top 10 Email Scams | Social Media Scams

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CraftWEB.com. Opportunity Network. 2008. All Rights Reserved.