CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
help with slumping ⅛" float

I'm trying to get a consistent product for a lighting designer- a simple 3.5" drop through a round 18" ID steel ring supported on bricks.
I've got the flange and the drop ring right, the refractory between the glass and steel right, I think I've got the schedule right (3 hrs to 1325, hold and watch the drop, anneal)
BUT
I sometimes get perfectly smooth domes and sometimes get these weird wrinkles in the glass (same shape, same schedule, same drop, same run in the same kiln). I'll put 3 in the kiln at a time and get 2 perfect and one wrinkled. Placement in the kiln doesn't matter- the heat's even.

Any thoughts? Would tin-side up matter?
Old 06-08-2019, 03:46 AM

Steve Beckwith is on a distinguished road
You can distinguish the difference between the tin side and the non tin side without special equipment. Clean the glass then wet your finger with water and make a smear on both sides. Look carefully at the edges of the smears, the edges of the smear on the tin side will appear to break up. I don't know if it would make a difference in your slumping or not but it might be that the tin side up (or down) may make a difference in the way your glass slumps.

Last edited by Steve Beckwith; 06-08-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:52 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
Marty, check with Barbara Cashman, she is the administer of the float glass fusers on Facebook which has over 1000 members. She has a lot of experience at using float. Tell her I sent you, she's an old frined.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Rick Wilton is on a distinguished road
Hey Marty,

It's 100% a tin issue, tin side up will compress the tin and cause issues. Tin side down will work better. As for tin detection you can buy a shortwave uv bulb (aka germicidal) on amazon for not too much money. Be careful with these bulbs as you can "sun burn" (welders arc) your eyes if you stare too long at the bulb.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:26 PM

Thanks everyone! Tom- I knew Barbara from when warmglass.com was important (for fusers), I'll give her a shout.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
To find the tin side...Place a coin, on edge, onto the glass. Look at the coin where it meets the glass. If the coin reflects back, at that point, it is the tin side. If there is a gap between the coin and the reflection, than it is the reverse side.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Registered Fuser

Rosanna Gusler is on a distinguished road
tin issue for sure. get yourself a cheap uv light takes an instant to get it right.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:07 PM

Hey Rosanna- I'll get one. Thinking about you every now and then for 2 reasons- I'm building an 18' cedar strip kayak from scratch and need you here for disguising the dings.
The second time is whenever I soak fish in beer before cooking it- your trick.

Bert Weiss is in the 'hood (my new digs near Portland ME), Ron Digitry also. Not a lot of glass action but I'm trying to goose it a bit.
Hope all's well with you.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 PM

Rick Wilton is on a distinguished road
Tin is invisible, I believe you are think about irid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Friedman View Post
To find the tin side...Place a coin, on edge, onto the glass. Look at the coin where it meets the glass. If the coin reflects back, at that point, it is the tin side. If there is a gap between the coin and the reflection, than it is the reverse side.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
The tin can sometimes change the characteristics of the reflection, it will come directly off the surface on the tin side, and go through the glass and reflect back on the non tin side. Subtle, but visible at the right angle. It's an irid clear trick too.