CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 AM

Gary Genetti is on a distinguished road
Spectrum 96 update?

Does anybody have news about Spectrum 96 line of products? I have been making large murrine from nuggets and fusing to fusible sheet and have a commission for large sculpture. Any one else making compatible cullet and sheet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Medallion.jpg (28.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
fusing to what sheet? The old sys96 was a 94.1 in reality. I know that they say they've changed it some. Oceanside will indeed be making the Spectrum runs of Sheet Glass in Tijuana but that doesn't convert it to it being what it once was. Uroboros will be a non player.

You will need some serious testing. I have to suspect at this point making the switch to Bullseye is a safer move. It means dumping everything you have. You might check in the facebook page "glassies"
Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 AM

Spectrum made colored sheet glass which was compatible with the nuggets. I have also made murrine from Glasma batch with mixed results(some cracking).
Does bullseye make a blowing glass?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM
The Old Gaffer

Spectrum indeed did make sheet glass but the product line has been spun off to Oceanside Glass in California. i do not have a clue as to whether they maintained the production specs. The Spectrum 2.0 is a 86 glass and is essentially SP87. The sys96 glass is not . It's a 94.1. That puts you in a real danger zone particularly if you're casting. The two clears were not compatible with each other although they did not seem to outright explode.

90 as a linear expansion would have been a far better glass but by the time attention was being aid to commercial glass production, Spruce Pine was the elephant in the room. Everything migrated towards fitting it. You could blow Bullseye but it would be a PIA to melt all that fine frit and it would be really expensive as well.

I'm simply saying to test first.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:34 PM

Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
I have always been puzzled by this footnote in Dante's book. See the attachment...

Anyone know if this is really the case? Does Dante use Bullseye for his studio work? Do they make a clear batch or cullet?

What would blowing a 90 COE glass feel like?
Attached Images
File Type: png dante bullseye.png (24.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Part of the Problem

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Bullseye pushed to get the glass blowing community on board in the early 90's.

https://youtu.be/dv-hJ85wL7U

The chandelier that Lino's blowing in the video used to be on display in their old gallery space.

What I heard through the grapevine is that Dante disliked the working qualities of the glass. I think they smartly let the whole thing die on the vine. It was too easy for the S96 people to lock-in that market.

If I remember correctly they did offer blowing cullet for sale for a while. I assisted on a rollup once, and did some marvering once the bubble was established. No actual tooling at the bench, so I can't offer much into.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:15 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
I took a rollup class blowing with Bullseye 90. No way no how would I use that willingly again. Great for fusing, nasty to blow with, you have to heat like you are doing a flutter bowl, and work like you are doing a goblet. No time to work, you have to heat the snot out of it.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:19 PM

Thanks Greg. That explains a lot...He's done so many demos in studios established with 96 COE glass that I would think it very challenging to go between Bullseye and a SP-like glass.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:21 PM

Sounds about right...Not as bad as trying to blow boro though, I imagine
Old 06-29-2017, 02:36 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Vanantwerp View Post
I have always been puzzled by this footnote in Dante's book. See the attachment...

Anyone know if this is really the case? Does Dante use Bullseye for his studio work? Do they make a clear batch or cullet?

What would blowing a 90 COE glass feel like?
I view that attachment as gobbeldygook but you have to put it in the right time frame.
Bullseye worked very hard at pushing the notion of using their glass in Aussie Rollups and made a concerted effort to dominate the market in OZ. That has been quite successful. In this country, The battle between Spectrum/Uroboros inevitably brought out the worst in each company in terms of pure pettiness. That was at least a 30 year war, maybe more. Bullseye usually maintained the image that they made glass "for real Artists" and the other guys made refrigerator magnets. They distinctly dissed that competition continually. Neither could get a toehold on Batch which Littleton had done a fair job of dominating by the simple nature of being first. Seattle Batch had a local following but was problematic in how coarse their silica was which caught them a ton of flack and when the company began to take a bastardized version of the Gaffer formula to China without proper engineering controls, it went all to Hell and failed. Spectrum kept its head down and just kept making nuggets and with the collaboration with Uroboros had quite the product combo for years. SPectrum did have a good sized business in colored sheet but that entire crowd vanished in the crash in 2008 and eventually the only profitable part of the company left was the nugget end with two seriously aging furnaces. Dan and Lani had thier crisis last year which was well publicized and humiliating but ultimately, they survived and Uroboros could not justify the baghouses it would have to have to keep going, OR at least that's my opinion.

When I think of a glass, expansion is part of it and that usually goes hand in hand with working time but it also generally yields up a pretty marginal glass when it comes to durability. You can't buy a good durable cullet. 96 L.E.C. glasses are usually at the very top end or beyond for the acceptable levels of alkaline flux and they don't have much alumina in them as a general rule which would improve durability but would probably cut working range. It indeed can be done to make a glass with high expansion and durability but there are none on the market I'm aware of. Peiser seems to be the only person I can find who is concerned with the issue.
The Kugler part just confuses me. There are lots better color rods on the market. I know that Bullseye used to make an enamel white for Dante and a few other chosen ones.
If you go to Australia these days, many use a local batch mixing company. Some get Gaffer batch and many use bullseye because the compatibility issues are solved and no one wants to think hard anymore. Glass from a toothpaste tube, I swear I could go on for hours.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:58 PM

My question is whether there is a blowing glass cullet or batch compatible with system96 color sheets. The fact that the nuggets are 94.1 coe and fit the sheets means that a blowing glass of close proximity would work. I have a couple of barrels of Gabbert #6 left from olden days. Anybody know if that might work? I will have to do some comp. testing for sure.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:27 PM

Tom Littleton is on a distinguished road
Some years ago we had a request for a Bullseye compatible version of the Labino Formula (Spruce Pine Batch) which we made for that one customer. He used it for a good number of years and has now retired. He did however make large numbers of C-balls.

Never had much interest in a 90 expasion glass other than that one customer.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:34 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Genetti View Post
My question is whether there is a blowing glass cullet or batch compatible with system96 color sheets. The fact that the nuggets are 94.1 coe and fit the sheets means that a blowing glass of close proximity would work. I have a couple of barrels of Gabbert #6 left from olden days. Anybody know if that might work? I will have to do some comp. testing for sure.
Hi gary, I do some really simple fusing projects that involve using colored system 96 sheet glass and Spruce Pine 87 and it works just fine. I use transparent and have never had a problem.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

thickness matters.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:23 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
I have seen the old System 96 flat from Spectrum used with the old System 96 nugget from Spectrum with no problems (in some thick work). I have had good luck using Uroboros 96 Frit with Old and New Spectrum nugget. I am able to use the new System 96 with the cane and murinne based on the old System 96. When I get my hands on the OGT produced 96 flat I will let you know if that works. My gut tells me that IF they stick somewhat close to the old formula for flat 96 things should appear OK. That doesn't address Pete's points about compatibility but empirically my gut tells me things will be OK.