CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Classified Ads/ Opportunities

Old 02-10-2017, 09:11 AM

Gary Genetti is on a distinguished road
furnace/glory hole for sale

I have a HUB MU200 with about 12-15 years of fired up time. It was built in Corning in the mid 1990's and operational this year with a GC-189 free standing pot included. Anyone that knows John at HUB knows that he builds equipment for the ages. The floor is still good(no cracked pots, batch melt) but whole inside has normal spalling and some cracks. Still has some life in it before you would need to rent the molds from John to rebuild. Asking $3850 including pot.

Studio made glory hole w/pneumatic lolly-pop doors. .5" steel pipe, brick lined w/Pine Ridge ribbon burner. 6",12" and 17" openings. Maxon pre-mixer and gas solinoid valve. Good condition, very operational. Asking $3500.

I am downsizing my hot shop as I am doing more kiln forming and I have a supply of blanks for my sandblast etched work. These tools are a great way to start up on the cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg furnace glory hole.jpg (40.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Furn&hole.jpg (44.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg GC189.jpg (48.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg MU200inside.jpg (48.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Dennis Hetland is on a distinguished road
That 240lb crucible goes for $1070 brand new.
I think the price you're asking is very reasonable. I'm sure some smart customer will swoop this up quick.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
That pot and furnace look to me to have been around the block quite a few times. The market will bear it out.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 PM

I think the pot is middle age. I waited until the pits were twice that size(Swiss Cheese) on my last one before changing and there were no leaks or pinholes.
The furnace looks rough but the floor is solid and I did not have any castable falling into the pot as of a couple of months ago. Should be moved carefully.

When I look at the prices on new equipment, it does seem fair to me. It is far less than the cost of materials in a new one.

BTW I also have a couple of never used EC 145 lb. pots here that I may sweeten the deal with... any interest?
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Alex Stisser is on a distinguished road
What was the combustion setup on the furnace? is any of that included?
thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Believe it or not I used a Giberson burner and venturi which I will throw in. I had John make the burner block. Very low tech and it took a while for it to heat up but trouble free, quiet and never cracked a pot. I controlled the propane with a needle valve. Simple and safe(no backfiring, ever) but needs babysitting compared to the controllers available. Basically I turned it all the way up after 1000 degrees for melt @2250 (Glasma batch)and then way down to maintain 2000. Fine glass the next day.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

The market will bear it out. It always does.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Yes, Pete the market will surely bear out the value and if all will bear with an old glass blower and what I see as a "teaching moment" I will attempt to add value to this equipment.
In the 1970's with no previous experience, I began working in a very crude glass shop with a guy who had studied for 6 weeks in a studio upstate NY. We built our own stuff; it worked, some how or other. My partner quit after a year finding the glass/business skills needed too challenging. I kept going for nearly 40 years now. I am a self-taught, technically mediocre glass blower, but successful glass artist. My success can be chalked up to timing and luck but I did learn to measure my abilities not by "talking shop" but what I was able to do as an artist with the tools available no matter how crude by industrial standards.
Engineering/building my own equipment was an important part of my development as a glass artist. It gave me a feeling of independence, freedom and rich satisfaction that is still the foundation of my creative life. With the industrialization of the studio glass movement this has been dismissed as old fashion and maybe it is but if one looks at the "maker movement" as it unfolds I think you will see it there in full force. Have we thrown the baby out with the bath water?
By giving a value to this furnace and gloryhole I am paying homage not only to my own creative efforts but to Johns, Dudleys and many others who have made possible what is available today for studio glass making and I challenge others to take this stuff apart see how it's made, put it together again. Make it better; make it new!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM
The Old Gaffer

"self-taught, technically mediocre glass blower, but successful glass artist."
Boy I can relate to that. For all the old guys who still have tin snips and pliers on their benches. I get it. I am continually amazed at what people so casually pay for glass equipment. I see 40K stuff regularly but I don't think it makes the vintage experienced equipment more valuable unless its grinding stuff. . Again, the market will bear it out. I deal in crucibles so I have a fairly practiced eye. I hope you get what you need. Good luck. This is a good marketplace.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 AM

Yes, we're a couple of hacks but not alone in that(Mr. Chihuly is perhaps the ultimate hack). That's what allowed the intense period of creativity that was the studio glass movement. Now, someone committing to a 40K furnace has not much room to play around.
This equipment has paid for itself a thousand times over for me. I'm not trying exploit some young glass maker. I just think it has some value and want to see it's life extended. This stuff isn't happy unless it's hot.
What does your "practiced eye" say it's worth?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Genetti View Post
Yes, we're a couple of hacks but not alone in that(Mr. Chihuly is perhaps the ultimate hack). That's what allowed the intense period of creativity that was the studio glass movement. Now, someone committing to a 40K furnace has not much room to play around.
This equipment has paid for itself a thousand times over for me. I'm not trying exploit some young glass maker. I just think it has some value and want to see it's life extended. This stuff isn't happy unless it's hot.
What does your "practiced eye" say it's worth?
I don't like to give estimates in such a public place. I simply said the pot had been around the block a few times. If you want to ask that question of the general board, proceed.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM

Pete, What do you get for a 150 lb. pot these days?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM
The Old Gaffer

The closest I have is the 135 lb pot, 19 inch diameter and it is $515.00 plus freight out of Oregon. My 22 inch pot holds 208 lbs and is right around $670.00 plus freight. The 24 inch pot is 275 lbs and is about $690.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:45 PM

Mark Klemperer is on a distinguished road
Hey Gary. I'm new to this site. on and off glass over the last decade, but have never had my own studio, and now thinking about taking the plunge, and might be interested in your equipment. I have more questions than I care to write, and also don't want to clutter the board with newbie talk!
I would love a phone conversation. Do you have some time this weekend?
207-557-1927, thanks
Mark
Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Sure. I am teaching on Saturday from 10-4pm so we could talk at about 9am or after 4pm Saturday or any time sunday. Email me back through my website genettiglass.com
Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 PM

Annealing oven for sale

I am adding this oven to my equipment for sale. It is studio made with a tilt up and roll to the left door. It needs switches and controller. Inside dimensions are 30"w x 30"d X 25"h. I am asking $1000 or best offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg annealer1.jpg (53.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg annealer.jpg (43.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 AM

While there has been some definite interest in this equipment, it is still for sale and as an incentive I am offering to help pay reasonable transportation cost for east coast destination. I will also include the two never used 150lb. Engineered Ceramic pots. Such a deal! Furnace, glory hole and oven plus.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 AM

Used equipment still available. Re posting sale.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:21 PM

Gwen Jones is on a distinguished road
Oven?

Is the oven/annealer still available?
Old 06-30-2017, 06:08 AM

Yes it is. I can take some more photos if you need more info. You can send me a private email via my website genettiglass.com to go over switches and controller possibilities.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Gwen Jones is on a distinguished road
Thanks Gary! I'll private email you about the annealer.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Great! I have access to equipment from another studio here that could make the trip even more worth your while. To good to post. Email me.