CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 11:06 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I find more complexity than that Josh. Think about SP87 and the reason people love that absolute buttery action. Why? Lithium. Lithium at one time was actually mined in a spodumene mine about 75 miles north of Burnsville but I don't think that spar was ever used by SP. Where does the Lithium come from now? Argentina and FMC is the importer and has a heavy control of the product. FMC used to be a heavy influence in Soda Ash but it seems they have divested of many other less attractive products. Where does Potassium Carbonate come from? Largely the Southwest but also South America. Silica is getting more pricey because of the fracking industry and the demand for processed sand. It can come from the Oriskany fields these days or some from Oklahoma and Tennessese- Think Short Mt Silica. So all that crap gets shipped around as well and motor freight does much of it.

So you really would be environmentally conscious if you just had a very simple sodium calcium silica glass. It can be made quite durable and very inexpensively but has the downside of it's basic working characteristics and general lack of sheen.

But where you could really look at this approach would be in the color rods you use. I am continually amazed at how much money goes into the purchase of these thing in even small studios. Look at what they're made with. Lead, fluorine, cadmium selenium, arsenic, chrome . They get ground into powder which is inevitably poorly controlled. They virtually all get shipped around the world to get to you and the manufacturers of them buy their raw materials from faraway places, ship them to their facilities, mix melt and ship them to distributors who in turn, ship them to you and there's a lot of tonnage in that. Gaffer, in New Zealand regularly buys in Korea and the PRC in container loads. I can't say about Kugler except that GLASMA mixes their basic materials and ships them from Sweden.
Bullseye has a heavy presence in Australia with finished product that gets melted yet again.

Then , you get it, heat it in a color box, pick it up and heat it in a gas consuming gloryhole, stick it on a blowpipe and case it in a material that really was created with materials from a very far away place.

My drift here is that carbon footprint is pretty hard to think about and it all goes in to making... pumpkins, which also get shipped by motor carrier to somewhere which sells and ships them yet again to that lucky final stop on the trail.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I am not under the impression the new plant is more than a plan. Do you factually know different?
I was told that's where they drive out to get it and was offered to go see it a while back. I am assuming Potemkin hasn't struck again.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
One more comment on the new System 96, as clean as it is it is definitely coming from new furnaces. Night and day from the old System 96. As for the New System 96 vs Premium 2.0, IHMO the 96 is better for production, the working characteristics match the tempo better. I think that I would have to keep the compressor running and cool things down to keep the same rate with the 2.0.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:43 AM
Part of the Problem

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Should probably just let it go...

The goal is now set at $5,000.

Information keeps changing in the description. It started as a business called "Red Barn Glass." Now it says "Arlington Glass Studios & Gallery." A google search yields no results for either name. There appears to be no glass blowing studios in Arlington, Washington (no listing in white or yellow pages).

There's a real possibility that someone else is posing as this person. The profile pic on gofundme is the same as her fb account. She appears to be silent on social media (definitely not posting about any new business endeavors).

All seems really fishy to me (yes, at this point I should probably just find a hobby).

*Disclaimer* I'm really only ranting about this here. I haven't tried contacting this entity, and I'm not going to try and call them out to gofundme.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
Smile

Relax Gregg! ...the dol's new fiduciary rule begins tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:22 AM
The Old Gaffer

Isn't it the case with Go Fund Me stuff that you don't get the cash unless you reach the stated financial goal.?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Isn't it the case with Go Fund Me stuff that you don't get the cash unless you reach the stated financial goal.?
No, that is kickstarter. I have used both to fund a public art project that I do every year for the past 7 years.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:55 AM
The Old Gaffer

So, in this case, the unsuspecting and their money are soon parted?
Old 06-08-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
So, in this case, the unsuspecting and their money are soon parted?
Correct. Gofundme has a reputation for this and it is so bad I was seriously considering not using it but it has its upsides. Kickstarter can only raise funds for 30 days. Gofundme is infanite.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:45 AM
The Old Gaffer

So, if a donation is made, who receives that donation as actual dollars? Does it go directly to the entity asking for the donation or does it go to the Gofundme people and they pass it along? Do they take a commission? What prevents a fake donation from happening? I just don't quite understand the process.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
So, if a donation is made, who receives that donation as actual dollars? Does it go directly to the entity asking for the donation or does it go to the Gofundme people and they pass it along? Do they take a commission? What prevents a fake donation from happening? I just don't quite understand the process.
Gofundme me takes about an 8% cut for credit card fees and commission. It goes directly to you, but they can yank it out of your bank account if there is a reported problem (fraud specifically)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:10 AM
I am a cog

Mike McCain is on a distinguished road
I dream about making a piece easily worth $5,000, that will appreciate long after I'm gone. Fund me the old fashioned way.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 PM
The Old Gaffer

I see where the campaign is no longer active and quit at $1005.00