CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 03:46 PM

Robert Gary Parkes is on a distinguished road
Hello from Port Kells, B.C. Canada

Hi folks
I have not posted for ages.
The Loafing Shed Glass Studio is in the 8th year of operation.
rolling along.
Our last biggest event was working with Steven Spielberg on the movie The BFG
making the glass props seen in the picture .
We have shut the Moly Melter down for a little maintenance, on our second pot
and the question I have is who can supply passage bricks?, I would like to replace
a few, but will order 6 to be well stocked.
Wishing all of our American Glassblowers a very happy and prosperous 4th of July
Come and see us sometime!
robert@loafingshedglass.ca
loafingshedglass.ca (website)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:56 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Charlie Correll is tooled up to do it in Conway Massachusetts. I used to handle them for him but it just seemed dumb so he does that by himself now. What you do need to recognize is that the 6/12 element uses a 2800F 2.5 inch brick and the 9/18 uses a 3.0" inch brick. He has both. I think they run $35 bucks. It's well worth having it done. Not being really straight is not a good plan.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:52 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
could you explain what a passage brick is exactly. All I'm seeing is possibly a tapered 2800 brick with two straight holes in. Sounds like it would be easier to make then place the order. Why can't they be again? When the furnace is cold can you just feed the element through the furnace door and into the bricks? Or do you treat them like the plague in a paper thin glass tube? Yes I understand they are fragile but are they really that fragile? Yes I know the passage bricks are needed for hot swapping.

On my first electric furnace I had sic elements running through brick and with the hot zone to close and they melted the 2800ifb. I also battled the chimney effect around the element passages. I'm sure moly like sic move around expanding and contracting. I ended up using kastolite and packed 100% alumina fiber around the element. My elements run horizontal across the crown they just float in the passage. I also connect my elements with stainless braid using spring clips. My hot zone is 12 inches from my connection.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
You can't feed them through the door although I did have a client who broke six elements in succession trying to do that. . They come in from the top. Your definition of fragility may be different than mine but I view them as really fragile.They cannot be in tension or compression even slightly. They should hang dead plumb. The 6/12 elements are far worse than the 9/18 element. The longer ones are worse than the shorter ones. The brick had multiple bores in it and the bore is 7 inches long and needs to be dead straight. It also needs 3", not standard brick and they really do have to be 28's, not 26's so you would have to buy a box of bricks. Treated well, they can last 5 years but they will eventually spall. The elements treated well in a 9/18 should be capable of lasting a decade. It's always the operator who breaks the element. It doesn't fail on its own. You may note that I have a business that does not reward slop. Crucibles and Elements. My mom always said "In a gold rush, sell shovels"