CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 10-10-2020, 01:23 PM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
Cold equipment value

Im trying to figure out value for insurance purposes, does used cold equipment really have any value?

24 rociprolap
36 rociprolap
Steinert diamond grinder

How about color and hand tools?
Old 10-10-2020, 03:03 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lowry View Post
Im trying to figure out value for insurance purposes, does used cold equipment really have any value?

24 rociprolap
36 rociprolap
Steinert diamond grinder

How about color and hand tools?
Are you insured for replacement cost?
Old 10-10-2020, 03:33 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Reciprolaps would cost you $500 each if you could find them easily. A Steinert grinder, maybe $700. It's not that great a machine. Color has value if someone wants that color. Italian handtools are very popular with students. they think it makes them better glassworkers. They get money from the Bank of Dad. Other tools? look at the recent postings in Classified.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:52 PM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
Im shipping a bunch of stuff and the shippers want a value. I said it was worth nothing if there is no buyer. And there are no buyers out there
Old 10-11-2020, 10:36 AM
The Old Gaffer

Oh, the last time I looked, insurance companies for truckers paid .02 per pound on machinery that gets wrecked in trucking claims.

I do have to wonder how David Lindsay is doing trying to part out his tooling in the pandemic. To me, a reciprolap is worth nothing without a good tray. The trays can be trued maybe four times total before they are too thin to get in either a blanchard or chucked up in a large lathe. At that point, they can be run with a polishing pad only. I think new trays are around 1200 dollars from Covington or HIS glass which is a lot of money for something I used to buy for $200 dollars.

The Steinert grinder will last longer at least. No one seems really interested in polishing anymore. Grinding the base flat, yes, but not polishing. If you run any grit more coarse than a 27.5 micron in a reciprolap, it will wear it out in a heartbeat.
I do use diamond pads for 60 grit and it does save the big wheelhead from going out of true but then I run the 120 on SiC grit. I can keep a wheel from going out of true for ten years. My employees wrecked it in forty hours of operation. Being out of true more than .08 made polishing a nightmare . It's why I have so many wheelheads.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:10 PM

Nick Delmatto is on a distinguished road
Pete, I bought a used reciprolap & the pan seems to need work. Do I just take it to a machinist or are there other ways of truing it? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:28 PM
The Old Gaffer

There are two primary things that can go wrong with a lap. If yours is a later model, it has holes partially drilled in the grinding face. As the tool gets dished, which it will fairly easily, lay a good straight edge across that face. You don't want to see any daylight- none. If you do it means a trip to a good machine shop preferably with a blanchard mill. A blanchard will grind it flat fast and then when you get to look at those holes in the grinding face, a bunch will seem a lot smaller. They are. But the good news is it will work again for a while but the same thing is going to happen. You can do this until the holes have essentially disappeared. What you have to be really careful of is chucking it up in a lathe. Cast iron is soft enough that an overzealous worker will chuck it down too hard and it warps slightly. Then it gets ground flat but is warped once the pressure of the chuck is released. How might I know that you could ask. That's when I converted mine into a cerium polisher with a rodel pad. That seems to work forever....
Unless... there's a bearing in the bottom of the tray and there's a bearing surface that those little nylon .625 balls ride on, and there are the little bearing cups that get lightly oiled and those nylons sit on a little steel plate that gets grooves worn in it. When the grooves get bad, flip the plate and you will get more life out of them .

The nylon balls will go bad pretty quickly and develop a flat spot. They will need replacing sooner than later. The net effect of the wear is that the machine begins to speed up, skipping along the defects. A good lap is a slow machine. Now it's important to look at the bearing surface of the actual plate. It should be baby's butt smooth, no grooves at all.

The last thing to go bad is the center bearing which you can get at any machine shop. You will need a keeper pulling tool to get the bearing race out but it's not really difficult. If you wait too long to do that, then the bearing is no longer going to fit in the bore in the big polishing plate and it will slap around. Then, you would need to overbore the plate to fit an outsized bearing.

Everyone of these issues is serious and needs regular attention. The parts can be gotten from HIS or from Covington. At one time, I was running a buying club from Jack Rose who designed these things. Jack sold out to Covington and I set up the club with them. Robert Stephan at HIS complained loudly to them since he was making money on them and Covington refused to sell to me. That's why Stephan isn't welcome around here. I was running a service and not making a dime.

I have an address for a place that sells the nylon balls. I bought 1000 of them. With all my machine tooling, I just had a machine shop on retainer. The good old days. I'd buy Rodel pad material in fifty yard rolls five feet across. We polished a lot of stuff. Six of them running, 24/7.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:32 PM
The Old Gaffer

Oh, The little leveling bolts wear out too. Ignore them at your peril. I had one of those machines go through a cinderblock wall.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:29 PM

Nick Delmatto is on a distinguished road
I've copied your info. Thanks so much! This one is a Lortone FL 20. I don't know how old it is.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:15 PM
The Old Gaffer

I looked at the Lortone site think I was being a bit unfair. It does look nice but I have no idea about the bearings or ease of tray removal. Jack Rose built one hell of a tool but even it was flawed. Anytime you mess with this stuff, expect high maintenance. Ours are OK now on small work but when we were processing pieces around 60-90 lbs , the slightest out of true became really hard to deal with.