CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 12-24-2018, 10:50 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Public Hot Shops in Shanghai

Some friends at work from Shanghai are interested in trying glassblowing. I was wondering if anyone knows of any ships in Shanghai that they could try out. Thanks in advance.
Art
Old 12-25-2018, 06:54 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
None that I'm aware of. Eveline did talk of a fine arts school but it was up north. I only know of one glass factory in Shanghai and it's not open. Liuli Gongfang does have a showroom in Shanghai or at least they did. They were in decline last time I was there but they had a fabulous show of Galle. There are private shops in Korea, a long ways away.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:01 AM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
They might want to check out the Shanghai Museum of Glass workshops:

http://www.shmog.org/

http://talk-glass.com/diycourses/

I don't know if the Fine Arts College of Shanghai University still has a glass program.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:33 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Samuel View Post
They might want to check out the Shanghai Museum of Glass workshops:

http://www.shmog.org/

http://talk-glass.com/diycourses/

I don't know if the Fine Arts College of Shanghai University still has a glass program.
That's what it was. I was supposed to go lecture there but it never happened. It struck me that it didn't really have any facilities to speak of. Studio Glass is China is pretty unheard of. Most of the people who come into Wang Kai's are from Europe and do a sort of contract designing. Nice stuff actually. Wang Kai has very nice clear, as clear as you're going to find. The silica is spectacular. His acid shop is remarkable.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Many thanks!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:32 PM
The Old Gaffer

The language, as Eveline says is the impenetrable part. While I was offered an equity share in the factory, I passed at 64 ( at the time) . If I was thirty, I might have done it but for me now, a bridge too far. Just a ****ing amazing country.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:39 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
These people are amazing. Got to tour and shop in 2001.

http://www.liuli.com/en-us/artists_l...etta_yang.html
Old 12-27-2018, 04:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

These days, it's a shadow of what it once was.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Peter Bowles is on a distinguished road
The Shanghai Museum of Glass is certainly worth looking at, they have a hot shop there that is occasionally used by visiting artists, and the rest of the time as a venue for twice daily demonstrations. There is also a very well equipped cold shop that is either very well managed or underutilised, probably the latter.

The China Academy of Art in Hangzhou, about 2-3 hours from SH has an active glass program and runs their furnace for a period each semester. I had the good fortune to teach there for 3 weeks last year and it was an extraordinary experience. China changed my entire perspective on globalisation, economics and environmentalism in a very harsh way, it really is an extraordinary place.

A recent graduate from the school has set up his own hot shop in Hangzhou. When I was there they were at the very beginning of their adventure and they were still trying to resolve a lot of the fundamentals in running equipment and melting glass, I'm not sure how they are running now being 12 months on. I can probably make some enquiries if its of interest to you.

Interestingly, Hangzhou is classed as a second tier city - of over 9million people. It really is a fascinating place, and as Pete mentioned language very quickly comes a barrier if you don't have a local as a guide.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 AM
The Old Gaffer

China will tend to stand your values on their heads if you spend any decent amount of time there. What's the national favorite food there? KFC.

If you look at artwork revered by the mainstream chinese, you'll find their reverence for specific national treasures and people duplicate them again and again really in homage. Look at the glass made there and they'll do bad imitations of American work for what I can't say the market would be, maybe Target? Wang Kai tried to overwhelm Mary Beth and I the first night we were there with these terrible photos of badly made knock offs and I went to Eveline and told her we could not be involved in this. Eveline owns the joint. Eveline changed. Eveline currently really has made major inroads in design under her name of Plusglass. The clear is now simply phenomenal but it was a struggle when I got there. I had a young apprentice in the mixing named Xi Wu and he was really attentive. He took notes on everything- copious notes. Then I found Wang Kai taking his notebooks away at night since he feared intellectual property theft. At that point, Wang Kai said he would mix and we had our first major failures. Xi Wu was reinstated and Eveline raised his salary as I suggested. These days the factory pretty much does custom lighting installations and they impress me. There are no cheap knock offs. The Chinese fear their own competition stealing info more than they do anything else.

As Peter says, their is a part of a semester where a furnace actually runs. It reminds me of teaching glass in England where the students didn't make anything in glass until their final year and then they made precious little. The lure of China is ... just China. Amazing place, great people most of the time and a culture you could immerse yourself in for a lifetime. But for me, the glass? Not so much. America and OZ are still the focal points of progress, And Boro is really out front now.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 AM
The Old Gaffer

...and the other thing about glass in china, it has very little history there as an art or craft form. It's not like Italy, Germany, Sweden or England. They knew about it but Ceramics , Bronze and Fiber are the mainstream and they imitate the main works endlessly. . Eveline's entire notion was to bring Glass to the Chinese middle class. Liuli Gong Fang went into casting and that woman is amazing but the end of the love affair diluted their influence and not in a good way. I've seen glass out of there that was mind blowing. In the Shanghai Shop, Mr Bai did remarkable casting but he did not remain in the Wang Kai shop. I didn't think he would.