CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 03:03 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
The raw supply side does seem to be a relatively more stable market, some major capitol to get into and a limited market are the hindrance. I have little patience for customers, so probably not in my cards.

The pollywogs have been about the best thing I have seen as a replacement for the collectors or show circuit as a steady and growing clientele. I also don't feel as guilty teaching them as they generally have that money to spare and aren't going into debt to learn something. Honestly it's one of those things that I sometimes question of why didn't I become an accountant and just make enough money to make glass for fun, instead of turning it into work.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
These days, they call this "finding you Lane". I really hate that.

Look, I don't want to be this complete downer in the act, really. I can only tell you my story and how it played out with the caution of how hard it became trying to give the kids the same chance I had.

It isn't the same. My goal now , late in life and having had a reasonably sucessful career with the goop is to pass along to my two kids a reasonable kick starter in their own lives however they liquidate it. I'm reasonable sure that's covered now.

But here, at Craftweb , which is just an extension of my life with glass is just an extension in an odd way of my teaching what I got out of it. Never a Chihuly, never a Peiser, but knew them both intimately but I'm very clear about why that is and it binds to wanting to have lived a certain way, most of it private in New Mexico doing dumb stuff with the land.

Fast Forward to the fact that the approach no longer works, let me at this point step aside and ask our younger readers, "How do you do it. What are your aspirations in this brief 80 year period we call life."

I really want to hear from you. It's part of this education we try to wrestle with here. I'm just an old dumb guy at this point.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
If finding your lane means "settling" into a job with prevailing wage and benefits that you've never had, I'm all for it. I'd been sold a bill of goods since birth that a degree equaled generic financial stability, which now is simply not a case, if it ever was.

I managed opportunities leading me along a path that allowed persistence in a cumbersome and expensive material. I know several people that have done the same; these days they are the outlier, and unfortunately not the example. It's not a profession that we are actually trained for, but tempered through failure.

Pete, you are far from an old dumb guy. FFS the legacy that you have built off this platform should be testament enough. There's a reason there's not a thousand hot tech forums around and it's because you've managed to curate one of the best.

Now let me find my rocker, and Get off my lawn!

Last edited by Shawn Everette; 06-25-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I wish you well in teaching, genuinely. I take note of how few people in that position at any institutional level do participate here. I know of a few too many who lost thier positions when the school simply closed the program, generally due to budget shortages. Devastating mid to late career events.

When Katie and I struck our deal those years back, I made the committment to be full hands on, to not allow stupid behavior, and to push what I knew about glass and resources. My daily conversations go far beyond craftweb generally. It has been a boon for me largely because my move away from making work and living in the rural outback did not relegate me to total obscurity. About the only area I have backed off from has been the chemistry and I put much of that in the bad behavior category although Such things as "Sacred Geometry" are known to set me off. If we've done nothing else here, the board tends to call a spade a spade and doesn't accept advertising. Constantly having 300 plus people going through the archives tells me that it works.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 AM
Registered Lurker

Steve Lazer is on a distinguished road
Thank you all

As a multi year lurker and one of those who will not likely ever make my livelihood in glass: I want to express my gratitude and thanks for all I have learned from this board. At one time I was gathering studio equipment, supplies and building my plan for my own hot shop. But circumstances and age have redefined that plan. Now I am just happy to have enough time to rent some studio time from others, and am grateful for the opportunity. I have had the fortunate opportunity to sell some of my work to support my glass habit. Much of my inspiration to continue in glass comes from the team on this board. I am fascinated with how much information and education is available here.

Please accept the thanks and appreciation from all of us in a similar situation.