CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 06-17-2017, 06:08 PM

Ron Mynatt is on a distinguished road
marbled glass

I have been getting this look sort of but would like to refine it.I am using white k61 with cherry red over it .Some times it works good but other times the red will not separate.I know this is being used on a lot of pumpkins but I would like to try it on bowls and vases .Any suggestions on what is a better way to apply the colors .Is it better on the surface or cased ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0806 (2).jpg (28.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:02 AM

Location: Salida, CO the Happy Little Town of my Happy Little Dreams
Brice Turnbull is on a distinguished road
I don't know that it's better on the surface or cased, but it is different.

Generally, on the surface the colors have more defined edges. Cased they will smear and have an appearance of depth or shadows.

I can't suggest how to accentuate it more. I don't know exactly what you're doing now. I would guess it's powder red over powder white?

Try heating more reheats, or if that doesn't work, shorter or less reheats. Or heat it gooey, block it briefly so the surface is cooled, but underneath is still gooey and blow quicker. Try stuff like that.

Just my first thoughts.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Surface. After you apply the powder let the piece get very cold and then stick it into the path of your glory hole burner's flame. (Higher velocity round burners are best) and get it wicked hot. Pull it out, and marver it, then blow it out.

Don't use gaffer enamel white for this. It's too soft.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM

Ron Mynatt is on a distinguished road
Does Frit over powder seem to have any benefit.It seems that the powder would separate from frit better then powder on powder.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Powder on powder works best for me.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:44 PM

I like to do r-61 with gaffer green luster powder on top. The reactions look like pools of water on a white glacier.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:48 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I believe what you're seeing is the reddish glass which contains cadmium , reacting with the white which is a leaded glass. The cadmium will turn blackish in the contact area You could do that with any lead and any cadmium based frit. . If you blow that out, it all expands and goes towards a muddier circumstance which is what you seem to be referring to. There isn't any easy fix for damping down chemical reactions that are being thinned.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
I like to do r-61 with gaffer green luster powder on top. The reactions look like pools of water on a white glacier.
I've become a big fan of gaffer's green lustre recently. Been playing with it in frit form a lot over the past few months. It has another good color reaction when combined with r-232 (cranberry). They form a nice straw/gold sort of color wherever they're given a chance to melt together.

I haven't gotten a chance to put any of gaffer's other lustre colors through their paces yet, although that's earmarked for my next color order. Has anybody else come across any particularly good color combination or reactions with the lustre series?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trulson View Post
I've become a big fan of gaffer's green lustre recently. Been playing with it in frit form a lot over the past few months. It has another good color reaction when combined with r-232 (cranberry). They form a nice straw/gold sort of color wherever they're given a chance to melt together.

I haven't gotten a chance to put any of gaffer's other lustre colors through their paces yet, although that's earmarked for my next color order. Has anybody else come across any particularly good color combination or reactions with the lustre series?
take a sifter and dust the lightest coating of copper ruby power over the 2nd to last gather and then apply that green lustre over it. nice reactions.