Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 02:33 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Artisnal Cullet?
Old 02-20-2020, 06:28 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Pete,

If you do put me on the list I am interested in such a thing. I really enjoyed that last visit. I would take better notes.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
Anybody have any updates on this? I've pretty much only seen more back orders, with nothing come back in stock. The luster's have been particularly bad.
I have been looking into this and indications are that certain frits have always been difficult to keep up with on demand. The Ferrari red frit is bought in enormous volumes by China.

When you are making rod and frit, you can calculate that about 45 percent of the pot is going to be rod, not more. That occurs because of declining quality for rod purposes, bubbles getting into the draw, etc. So, the rest goes into the frit population and crushers are not terribly discriminating. I can control the max size on a run thru the chipmunk and you can't control whether it breaks finer than your spec in an Archimedian wedge. I always get fairly calculable percentages of most of the frit but eventually it will take a remelt to get more. Frit is far less profitable than rod and if it was focused on, then rod would cost far more.

Frit has gained in popularity consistently since I made commercial color. I think that to be a response to bubbles in the color itself and fairly low quality clear as well. My definition of low quality is more severe than many people's. At any rate, demand for a lower profit item has surged and the company is trying to catch up with six months moving and then re starting production at a different altitude with different raw material sources, and differeing fuels. Consistency is really dependent on nothing changing. Good luck with that. I'm surprised they transitioned as smoothly as the have. Stuff changes. Ferrari red doesn't look anything like it did when I first saw it.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:06 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
I've been waiting on Red Luster to come back in stock for a 0 or 1 for over a year, don't seem to be in much of a hurry. It's the singular color from gaffer that I don't have a good alternative for in my regular product line. Wanting to play with some of the casting billets too, but I'm not going to start that project til I know I can get more if I like the results.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:52 AM

Monte Becker is on a distinguished road
No love for Red colors...

Bill Gudenrath once said to me "Never fall in love with the color red" (referring to color bar) - reason being that the color isn't very consistent in the best of times, and the formulas appear to change over time.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
I've been waiting on Red Luster to come back in stock for a 0 or 1 for over a year, don't seem to be in much of a hurry. It's the singular color from gaffer that I don't have a good alternative for in my regular product line. Wanting to play with some of the casting billets too, but I'm not going to start that project til I know I can get more if I like the results.
Well, you can always ask to be put on the wait/backorder list in Kent. If you do that instead of randomly calling, you'll get what you want. If there are sufficient orders for it, they do actually make more and they do not charge your credit card until it is on its way to you. On the backorder list, you're the first one shipped to.
If, like some of our crucible customers, just call or not place the order when they call, they don't yet exist in our queue. I've gone from being nine available of a pot in inventory to five behind in one day. Don't expect mind reading.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:40 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Becker View Post
Bill Gudenrath once said to me "Never fall in love with the color red" (referring to color bar) - reason being that the color isn't very consistent in the best of times, and the formulas appear to change over time.
There are some colors that don't want to be rod. It's not as hard if you make your own.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:23 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE1DDA09-A0E1-403C-BF77-B015425E090A.jpg (50.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 AM
The Old Gaffer

Kuchinke persists in being a fan of Borax. Scott tells me no one in the EU is using any of these newer cullets at all. I did not know that Gaffer has shut down its UK distribution warehouse. I would expect that part of that may be Brexit and tariffs but I don't know that to be the limit.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:53 AM

Peter Kuchinke is on a distinguished road
Harzkristallnuggets

Whatever the Cristalica company does and has done in the past 2 years. I do not know. BUT the foundation Harzkristall has invested in a brandnew 2 ton /day furnace. The furnace is powered 80 % conductive electric furnace with an estimated consumption of 1kw/h per kilo glass.
The size of the furnace makes it possible to do batches as small as 10 tons in a specific chemistry -within certain limits and without lead,arsenik and some more elements.
If you are interested find out more www.harzkristallnuggets.de or
www.harzkristall.de
Old 03-10-2020, 12:13 PM
The Old Gaffer

10T is well beyond the reach of most studios to bankroll Peter. Doing a 100. L.E.C. is simply a mystery to me. This will not fly in the US.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:10 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Yeah, 100 L.C.D. won't be a selling point for me.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:36 PM
The Old Gaffer

It appear to be a good sized factory making its own product and selling "experience time" as so many of you do. Lots of uninspiring work. But the European model really has largely stayed around a 97.5 with notables like Lauscha and Effetre being well above 100.

It just won't sell here.

I think Oceanside has an enormous opportunity but they simply don't understand the blown glass market at all and are not reaching out to understand it. .
Old 03-10-2020, 02:59 PM

Does anyone make color for 100?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
10T is well beyond the reach of most studios to bankroll Peter. Doing a 100. L.E.C. is simply a mystery to me. This will not fly in the US.
I would think that 10 tons is nothing if Tom, Phil or Jim ordered containers full. But this furnace at 2 tons seems too small to feed demand for everyone
Old 03-11-2020, 01:37 AM

At 80000 lbs a cargo container that would be 20 days to fill one. I donít thing 1 1/2 containers per month ignoring any down time is going to take over the market.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:26 AM
The Old Gaffer

A container is 19 pallets or about 41000 lbs if you want it to be DOT roadworthy when it hits Norfolk. The aformentioned distributors have a limit on their space to store things and a limited willing ness to buy more untested stuff that are unknown when it comes to simply changing the expansion of the glass.

At this point, there are perhaps too many cullets on the market and all have real problems.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 AM

More awake now, so for better math. Also was using a rough container number from some I saw on a train, guess they weren't road worthy.

At 41000 per container, and 2T/day furnace

Days to fill a container 10.25.
with a 5 day work week and 4 weeks per month 1.95 containers per month without any down time.

Don't know how many \containers for all vendors that go to the US in a month but 1.95 doesn't seem like a lot to disrupt the global supply chain.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Triggered

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I'll just add that 100 L.E.C./C.O.E./whatever is not an entirely unknown quantity in Europe. When I first got hired on at Uroboros we were doing massive runs of transparent red and orange sheets. These were for a not insignificant client in Europe. EU regulations were restricting the color palette (*cough* cadmium *cough*). Nearly half of the entire production day was spent rolling these sheets. Went on for weeks. I don't know how many pounds the total order was for. These were all formulated to be 100.

I guess it's just a coincidence. This has nothing to do with the blowing world. This was for fusing. I know Bullseye sells a lot in Europe too.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:21 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
More awake now, so for better math. Also was using a rough container number from some I saw on a train, guess they weren't road worthy.

At 41000 per container, and 2T/day furnace

Days to fill a container 10.25.
with a 5 day work week and 4 weeks per month 1.95 containers per month without any down time.

Don't know how many \containers for all vendors that go to the US in a month but 1.95 doesn't seem like a lot to disrupt the global supply chain.
5 day work week is unlikely. They keep those things running. What's far more at issue is that the factory there has it's own demands for it's own glass. As you say, that's not a giant furnace.

I view fusing and cullet as two different ventures. When I was involved with the cristalica, it was a 97.5 and still fit Gaffer and the germans. It was right on the edge.