CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 03:03 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Marko Blanko Color

Pete,

Give us the low down. Is this the titanium white end run?
Old 03-13-2020, 03:40 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The final product Mark made that I'm aware of essentially became Titanium Aluminate which as it turned out was a product Corning developed years back as the shields for NASA to prevent Ablation.

How that worked out in glass is strange. You could pick up a chunk of it in the hotbox and then take it to the gloryhole and wait forever. It was oblivious to the gloryhole completely. It would not melt.

Mark is such a perfectionist that this was the end of the line. I do think there were many glasses along the line that would work great as the titanium white. I have a bunch of bars from different melts and the bulk work as cane. It might be that Mark could go back to some of the tests earlier on that he had Nick Fruin assisting on.

I imagine that the Italians will just make the old lead arsenate illegally.

He is coming back from Tucson today and we will talk. We went over a bunch of lithium variants before he left and he was going to push those notions at the students as demos of the effects of fluxes. .
Old 03-15-2020, 01:06 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
I got to try a sample that Nick F. had brought to GAS Murano. It was the stiffer of two varieties that were there, and it did go quite a ways for making fine lines, prob more than the Gaffer white duro. Nick did some cups made with zanfirico cane for Mark a while back which I got to see at Mark's studio last spring. Mark had a magnifying glass set up because you couldn't see the super fine lines with the naked eye. But they were there under the magnifier.. I also put this white through some murrini tests and it seemed to fit SP clear quite well. (unlike some other colors when used in murrini) I'm sure I'll never get to see Mark's formula but I think the biggest appeal, for those of us who have the experience and ability, could be to melt it ourselves without having to worry about the extreme health issues of the traditional lead arsenate melts. I'd love to be able to add colorants to this base and make my own bars for personal use.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:40 PM
The Old Gaffer

At one point, Mark added one lb of cobalt to twenty pounds of the goop. It did not show up at all. That's how intense the density is.

It's really a profoundly touchy formulation and everything has to be perfect.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:10 PM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure the market needs another stiff duro unless it's significantly cheaper than the alternatives. I use a ton of Gaffer duro white and is pretty much perfect--crisp dense lines all the way down to tiny threads, doesn't bleed, crispy edges even when exposed on the surface, pulls into great cane, etc. The US-made rods are a tiny bit softer than the older stuff from NZ and I actually like it better since it has all the same benefits but is a bit easier to work with.

I wish Mark the best and don't doubt his white is awesome, I just don't know if there's a market unless it's equally as awesome as Gaffer and significantly less than $70/kg.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:53 PM
The Old Gaffer

the point of developing the enamel white is that the EU is restricting the Italians from making it anymore. Mark's is non toxic, Lead arsenates are indeed toxic.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:57 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Patchen View Post
I'm not sure the market needs another stiff duro unless it's significantly cheaper than the alternatives. I use a ton of Gaffer duro white and is pretty much perfect--crisp dense lines all the way down to tiny threads, doesn't bleed, crispy edges even when exposed on the surface, pulls into great cane, etc.
I'm a big duro customer as you know, but I just ordered a couple kilos of Mark's white from OCR. I think it'll be better than the opalo duro for certain things. Merletto comes to mind. I've stretched the Gaffer white too far at times and had it lose its density, albeit rarely, but this titanium white really can get super fine and still stay dense.