CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-10-2020, 10:53 AM

Rick Wilton is on a distinguished road
The Harzkristall Nuggets are COE 100 glass

HUH??? quote from their website "The Harzkristall Nuggets are COE 100 glass. With the latest technology it's possible to melt nuggets in every composition according to the customer's request."

https://www.harzkristall-nuggets.com/
Old 03-10-2020, 12:10 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I believe Peter Kuchinke is involved with this company and it's the latest in a line of them. The EU largely works around a 97.5 standard and that was where cristalica was when introduced. Kuchinke had also worked with a melt facility in Romania and that relationship stopped. Then he had a very public falling out with the Dobern Group and moved on. He is apparently doing this.

So, 100 L.E.C. certainly won't do anyone much good. It's too low for Lauscha, too high for anyone else. You really have to wonder what the thinking and consulting process is with these people. To assume that they will flip expansions on a dime involves changing formulation which means differing glass in the furnace. That implies tonnage to do it cleanly. This seems unlikely to the point of risky.

Scott has told me that much of the EU has turned to GLASMA as a batch. Given the cast of characters in the cullet war, not a bad plan.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:40 PM

John Croucher is on a distinguished road
Cristalica nuggets were sold as a measured LEC 100 x 10-7 20-300oC glass. +/-2 points. Presumably the new Harzkristall nuggets are a similar formulation. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the exact dilatometric number. Viscosity is also important. At the end of the day Cristalica was pretty compatible with SP87 and Spectrum Version 2.0 It worked fine with Gaffer.
See Cristalica data sheet: https://cristalica-studioglass.com/Datenblatt/?lang=1
Old 03-10-2020, 04:53 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
My cristalica paperwork indicated a 97.5