CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Chemical Approach to Glass

So, I went poking around on the web for copies of Volf's masterwork and found no sites short of this one which actually had the book. A rare bird getting more rare and the price has certainly been going up. I think I got my hardbound for $200 dollars, gave one to Mark as a present. There were 20 known hardbounds and the rest were soft cover.

The paper used in the printing is pretty crappy. Anytime you actually read or peruse a page, it wrinkles slightly. You can certainly tell in my copy where I've spent time. At any rate, here's the only link I have for it at this point and it came from a direct google of Igneous after trying far more general searches.

Other books in this search include Graham Stone's "The Schedules" and Helmer's" Secret Glass Recipes", about fifty bucks each and both are good additions to anyone's reference library. I'm surprised there are copies of the Schedules at this point.

https://www.bookwire.com/books/publi...ous-Glassworks
Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
I thought Brad Walker (warmglass) had reprint rights for Stone's book.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:42 AM
The Old Gaffer

I just found it there in the search.
That might be the case but my general impression was that Stone retained the reprint rights and sells bulk copies every once in a blue moon. I could b wrong. I do remember when Brad got his initial copies after Mike Firth completely freaked Graham out with his assertions that he could reprint any thing he saw on the internet, another low point in glass.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:49 PM

Don Geiger is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Mayhaps Mr. Firth's ascertion is not based in fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I just found it there in the search.
That might be the case but my general impression was that Stone retained the reprint rights and sells bulk copies every once in a blue moon. I could b wrong. I do remember when Brad got his initial copies after Mike Firth completely freaked Graham out with his assertions that he could reprint any thing he saw on the internet, another low point in glass.
Gentlemen,

I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV. I do own a few copy righted articles and two of my previous employers hold the patents on some tinkering results that worked. Long way of saying some checking needs to be done before any assertion that anything published on the internet is in the public domain. The other consideration is, depending on the intellectual property in question and country of origin, after a very specific period of time the creation enters the public domain, e.g. Beethoven's works are public domain.

What Mr. Firth may be confusing is a public license that allows re-posting works if they have a Creative Commons copyright of it or of it's variants. Or that anybody in this country can cite works used in academic studies.

"Creative Commons is an American non-profit organization devoted to expanding the range of creative works available for others to build upon legally and to share. The organization has released several copyright-licenses known as Creative Commons licenses free of charge to the public.Wikipedia"

You can check it out here: https://search.creativecommons.org/

Simply stated without a CC or equivalent release of copy rights not everything posted on the internet is public domain where copy rights are concerned.

I am jumping in so strongly as in my mind this topic overlaps Pete's ongoing interest in publishing the wealth of knowledge shared here, i.e. 2003 archives and a recent 2019 post. I checked the disclaimers here and Craftweb did not cite Creative Commons or any other public domain copy right.

If I may be so bold and I was on the wrong end of the application of this idea. A site I used to belong to changed their copy right policy and claimed everything, no matter when it was created, as their intellectual property. I left but so far it seems to have stuck.

Pete, please do two things: 1) talk with a lawyer that does copy rights. They normally do not charge for an initial consultation; and, 2) Please, for the love of everything you hold dear, publish. PM me and I'll kick in to help pay for this if it develops a bill.

Background

Before the World Trade Organization became a separate entity it was the UN where most of the world's nations could protect their citizen's intellectual property rights. Now it is the WTO. The point is intellectual property like copy rights are enshrined in domestic and international law. This is an area the United Sates of America and the Peoples Republic of China are negotiating to avert a trade war as I write this.

I have a day job. Glass is what I want to do when I retire. Email me, PM me, or send smoke signals if you think I can see them if I can be of any assistance. (edit on reread, considering we are sharing info on hot glass here cancel the smoke signals)

I am recommending / suggesting that it may not be such a bad day for glass working. I can say whatever I want on the internet but that does not mean it is fact especially when the topic is enshrined in both domestic and international law.

My soap box is creaking so I'll sign off here and get back to reading the archives. :-)

Cheers,

Don
Old 04-23-2019, 08:45 AM
The Old Gaffer

Firth dug his own grave on the issue by lifting in whole material from craftweb at that time.

Honestly, I'm not rushing to publish anything. Katie has always asserted copyright but it's not something I've ever investigated. I do think that if Craftweb were to be used, it's far more of a compilation of knowledge by a wide group over 20 or so years. Individual attribution would actually be hard to pinpoint but the general drift is that of studio experience. I do think attribution is extremely important when called for.

Graham was the only true loss we sustained from Firth's assertions. He worked on that book most of his adult life and he needed the money from its sales. If you're fusing, you need those schedules. The notion that his contributions here could be used in such a way as to devalue his observations caused him to seize right up. Mike was thrown out of here long ago and went back to being a hardware store salesman with a web site that tried to fool people into thinking he was an expert at anything.

But don't expect any great book coming out of me at this point. It's baseball season.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Don Geiger is on a distinguished road
If I can help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Firth dug his own grave on the issue by lifting in whole material from craftweb at that time.

Honestly, I'm not rushing to publish anything. Katie has always asserted copyright but it's not something I've ever investigated. I do think that if Craftweb were to be used, it's far more of a compilation of knowledge by a wide group over 20 or so years. Individual attribution would actually be hard to pinpoint but the general drift is that of studio experience. I do think attribution is extremely important when called for.

But don't expect any great book coming out of me at this point. It's baseball season.
Pete,

First and foremost thank you, as always, for your response.

No rush, considering my current readings of the archives and anything else not nailed down, it will be a highly valued and monumental task.

Do I covet,desire, and want such a compilation? Will I pay for it if I can afford it? Oh heck yea!

I was and am very serious about putting my money where my mouth is / posted words are. It may not be much depending on who is sick or what broke now. No matter, If I can help please let me know. (edit on reread -- this also includes shutting up)

Under the heading of offering what I can do to assist... As I pursue my research and if under yours, Katie's or your son's guidance while looking for glass coloring information I can send you what I find in whatever way will help please just tell me.

That should have pretty well have beaten that drum enough.

On a separate subject

I should have my copy of Volf before the end of the week. My CRC and Weyl's tome are are ready to hand. I am so very excited and thank you for the recommendation; my banker does too. :-( This is the second positive step my research has taken in about a year. The first was use percentage for colorants; so darn simple and so effective to my chagrin, I just never thought of it before. Thank you Pete and all!

Cheers,

Don
PS: the sound of crickets while pleasing is not helpful relevant to my posting asking for information, guidance, and thoughts relevant to viscosity curves and LEC vs. COE. So how about sharing some of your hard won expertise there when you can spare the time? It is baseball season after all. Just saying. :-)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:25 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, I will say the red Sox are pathetic given their expectations. I'll watch another potential loss this evening following the mid day start with the Tigers.

I also follow the Rockies the National League and my daughter is flying in from Cyprus to take me to a Rockies. Sox game in May. Seats behind home plate.

As to glass, Good for you on your action. I don't think you will ever regret buying the book, particularly once it's gone. . It will always sell for near or over your investment. reading Volf for those of us who ever managed to get through Wely is just a treat, but a different sort of one. Both are important. What's really important?
You and that seven pound crucible. Life really is short.