CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Curtis Dionne is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a world of pain.
I think I'm beginning to understand why there's never been a batch or color company in Canada.

I was thinking really small time like pulling some cane for a few local jewellery makers.

Its overwhelming what all needs to come together to make this craft happen.

I wonder why more places haven't turned to cullet from China. That's what I learned on. It seemed great to me. They used bullseye frit and reichenbach frit with it.
Other than browning a bit if it was over reduced it seemed fine at the time.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The last time cullet was brought in from China, it was Seattle Batch that did it. It involved a clone formula from Gaffer with some minor exemptions. It initially did fine but very shortly the Linear expansions were all over the map- up to 7-8 point shifts. I did a lot of testing for a lot of people on that product.

As I understand it, the Chinese company initially involved farmed out the job to yet another company, ostensibly without the knowledge of the Seattle bunch. I don't know if that's true or not. What I do know is that at the time, the cullet was being sold for 55 cents a lb. Looking at that, considering the shipping and landing costs that there was really no way this glass could be engineered if it cost only a nickle a pound.
It folded up along with the Seattle batch co.

We do make cullet in Shanghai but not for export. Wang Kai has done a very credible job of maintaining the quality of the materials and the recent addition of the Chinese silica has been a truly remarkable boost on the clarity of the stuff. It is water white. But we don't have the infrastructure to make it into a palatable, easily loading cullet. Given the vagaries of west coast ports and how mercurial they are , along with built in suspicion of anything Chinese along with not cheap fuel, Eveline and I decided to not pursue it and that was before the debacle with Cristalica, an ongoing train wreck.

I don't see any of this changing. Cullet will have to get to $1.75 lb to draw in both quality and distributable volume. I do think making cane for jewelers. I have a friend who has done that. He had a lot of difficulty getting paid.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 PM

I was recently in contact through Facebook from a sales rep selling crucibles and clear cullet and casting colors from China.
3.40/kg for the cullet. Large 6 inch coins
Zibo longtai cave industries
It's not cheap, I wonder if its good
Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM
The Old Gaffer

wondering is the hard part. Importing from China only works in container loads.

I have a lot of China contacts and they require constant attention if you expect quality. It is really a major problem. My Shanghai contacts I really trust , some of my great friends in this world. But I still watch the particulars.

When you do bring stuff back, it's about impossible to return the rejects. Really.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Curtis, I believe at one point in the late 70ís there was a color company in Canada. I had some silver amber bars that they made. I canít remember their name. Maybe Pete can remember
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM
The Old Gaffer

I do. Most of what I saw was white and it was Bob Held behind that deal. The name started with a "B". ( Brentwood?) I was never aware of colors. Compatibility was indeed an issue. Short lived. I saw it first down at the Lubbock glass shop for Texas Tech in I recall 1981. Bill Bagley ran the program and he died quite some time back being incompatible with being alive.

There was yet another which called itself "Rainbow Color Rods" and put out a flyer to be at GAS around 1987. It had really marginal colors, cobalt blue, purple and a tan. They did not know what expansion coefficients were . Gone the next year.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:22 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Dionne View Post
Sounds like a world of pain.
I think I'm beginning to understand why there's never been a batch or color company in Canada.

I was thinking really small time like pulling some cane for a few local jewellery makers.

Its overwhelming what all needs to come together to make this craft happen.

I wonder why more places haven't turned to cullet from China. That's what I learned on. It seemed great to me. They used bullseye frit and reichenbach frit with it.
Other than browning a bit if it was over reduced it seemed fine at the time.
It's not pain but it ain't art. It is the process of adding value to materials that come in the left side of the building as raw materials and go out the right side as product in demand. Just be clear.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 PM

Come to think of it, when I worked for Bob Held I remember him mentioning something about a color bar factory in calgary when he was skookum art glass. He did have plenty of great batched color on hand. It was an awesome place to work.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:59 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I do. Most of what I saw was white and it was Bob Held behind that deal. The name started with a "B". ( Brentwood?) I was never aware of colors. Compatibility was indeed an issue. Short lived. I saw it first down at the Lubbock glass shop for Texas Tech in I recall 1981. Bill Bagley ran the program and he died quite some time back being incompatible with being alive.
It was indeed Brentwood. I still have some . I bought it because it was cheaper than the others around and I was just starting out on my own. They did have colors, but mostly in the blue/purple/green range. The frit sizing was awful!!!!
Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 PM
The Old Gaffer

Mark: It was a very innocent period of time. I remember the guy with Rainbow color had no idea what an expansion coefficent was.