CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-28-2017, 02:58 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Moly Furnace: check those connections!

I have seen this more than once on here to check your connections. Every once in a while I would kill the power, shake them a bit, give them a good eye ball. Then think to myself this is silly these guys are fine.

Until they are not fine. I am here to tell my tail of woe. 3 Fuses, 1 MolyD strap, and one lead bolt down. Alas, I am back in the chili now but it was a tense 30 minutes as I went home to get my Multi-meter as I left my shop to a dark and cooling furnace.

As a side note you can get those Bussmann 65amp fuses on Amazon Prime for 16 to 19 bucks with free shipping. I was lucky enough to have a spare duct taped to the door panel.

The connection bolt from the transformer had the tensile strength of a cheeto! It crumbled in my fingers as I inspected the two pieces of it after the "downing". Melted right though the MolyD strap but lucky enough I had spares of those as well. Alas, to be honest I have had less trouble with this furnace than my pinball machine in the shop....that thing is a beast... The furnace not the pinball machine.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 04-28-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:30 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The transformer connection is the true vacation funds killer. If that connector was to melt ( and it happened to me) if the quartz coating on the windings gets hit ( mine didn't), you'd be buying a new transformer. Think three grand. I have never had to replace a fuse in the SCR. Don't replace your straps and you're dancing with the devil.

It was touted as this simple system and it is BUT you gotta do the regular maintenance. No less than every two months.
My good news: the cost of shipping just two elements from the factory appears to be getting more reasonable. The PRC is stripping many of these businesses of their VPN connections which makes life really hard for them, and for us.