CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM

Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
Loetz Gold

Hi, I've contacted SP about the availability of Golden Yellow from Ullman/Loetz. They don't have anymore and their supplier is out of business. Who was making this glass color anyway?

I thought I would try iris orange as a replacement but it's just not the same. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:56 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I have this interesting unpopular concept. Learn how to make it.

Mark is on Titanium melt 33.
This is before teaching the Penland class.
There are about six people I can count on two hands who understand this shit. What exactly are you going to do when they die off? Croucher is 70. I'm near that. We're all talking retirement. I'm one of the young ones at 67.

Mark is 80 years old.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Write that shit down! At least leave us some notes anyway.

Pete, how do you find the titanium affecting the viscosity?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Lightweight

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Learn to make it yourself, or become a slave to eBay.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Lightweight

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
...and Etsy.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
Write that shit down! At least leave us some notes anyway.

Pete, how do you find the titanium affecting the viscosity?
Titanium is easy to melt. It's the alumina content that triggers all the action. We melt around 2275-2300F Every preconceived notion you have about glass is wrong with this stuff. We have the expansion nailed and it's very glassy. We're really choosing which one to use at this point and it's a nice set of choices. I hope to have some actual bar in June. We have yet to really do things like barring it up, sticking it in a lehr, heating it slowly..Those are things which can yield some surprises as glasses leave the reservation. There are some glasses that just behave oddly when you roll them on a marver. We do know to not let it fall below 2000F.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:29 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Im embarrassed to say that i have never heard of this golden yellow color or the maker of it..

What is this stuff?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 AM
The Old Gaffer

I can tell you that it's simply fritted in water which ought to leave a bazillion bubbles in it. It's not how I'd make frit.

There are all these tiny color makers now that are melting in cullets, both boro and soda lime. I would be suspicious of claims on mismatch. I had one guy who was making Hagy seals which are supposed to have both end welded and to leave the central section free floating. He was fusing the entire seal which will teach you nothing. After he described that to me and I pointed out the problem, he simply stopped getting pots from us.
The boro people are equally impenetrable as well, maybe more so. At 100 dollars a pound, they certainly have their niche.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Well I hate to admit it but I knew they where going out many moons ago and purchased up SP's remaining stock. I also have quite a bit of the green and gold brown. They do not work the same but well enough to get what I am looking for.

I use if for a very specific effect. I have pretty much what I need for the rest of my glass blowing career I would guess. I might run out but I doubt it.

As for Eben's question it is a glass, in my application, that reacts to stannous chloride like nothing I have ever seen or expect to see in the near future. Maybe one day I will get with Pete and figure out what it is that makes it go completely mental in this application for me but right now I have enough for me not to care.

It however is not a 96 COE but is somewhere close but higher. Is stiff as a duro if you apply a lot of it and overall not a pretty color until you reduce/fume it. It is quite amazing once you do however and is only worth it's salt as an exterior application.

It will reduce but not a well as others I have in my quiver. It's magic for me is in the stannous application. The yellow gold reduces similar but not as well as the luster red from gaffer without the red backing on a clear.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 04-28-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:39 AM

I completely agree with the sentiment that I should learn to make my own glass. The color companies are dropping like flies and prices are getting ridiculous...even for clear. My glass working time is precious to me though and I'd rather blow than cook at this point. Maybe when I retire I can dig into glass chemistry, but not now.

I greatly appreciate the efforts of this board to help someone like me who is otherwise isolated from a glass community and seeks to try some of the things in glass that inspire me. I learn so much just from reading through old posts. There are amazing artists on here and I have gone browsing the internet to see their work.

I've made a lot of things with the Gold Loetz and when I looked around my inventory I noticed that it had all sold. Interesting stuff. Scott was smart to buy it up...the other Loetz colors are just not the same. The gold fumes beautifully and I'd love to get my hands on some more. If not, I'll find something else to do. I just made my first batch of silver bromide and am working out the details of getting a good spectrum of color to develop. No shortage of things to try in glass.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:41 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Dan,

If you have not tried the red luster gaffer give it a run. I consider a close second in almost all ways. It is really quite a versatile color and you can keep most of it from striking red if you don't let it soak in the annealer.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 04-28-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 PM

Hi Scott, I believe you have advocated for the gaffer red luster in other threads . I have it in rod and like to use it and other lusters to make shards for surface pick up. My next Gaffer order will include some in frit or powder as well.

I guess I really take some things for granted when I buy from Gaffer or Reichenbach. They do a lot of the testing to determine compatibility and to ensure that colors do what they are expected to do. I just chop a slice or dump the contents of a bag and get to blowing. All that "insurance" is included in the cost of a color.

However, some colors are just off my list. I use to love using gold aventurine but I'm not spending the going rate for it.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:39 PM
The Old Gaffer

Just remember the life cycle of the mayfly. Think Zimmermann. They had some of the best stuff and.. gone. Kugler is like crayolas. You simply cannot sell a box of recipes and think things will be fine. The joke amongst us who make color goes a bit beyond the German quip, The Germans said " A good recipe can't cross the street." That's true. Croucher added on: "or across the studio".

Then Lino cryptically added in Italian but translated : "Melt glass where it wants to be melted".
Some of the best colors? Think Carder in 1915. Think Tiffany furnaces. Think "In house". That big Galle I got to hold in Shanghai was in House. I was absolutely enthralled to cradle that in my arms. I'm still astonished they let me hold that like a newborn.

I used to make the best Copper ruby in the world, at 5, 950Ft above Sea Level. I'm here in NH now at about 800 feet. I had a moly. I did not even try for ten years. I'm back to gas melting. I haven't tried that copper ruby yet. I'm in a crazy world with enamels. These days, I just poke at it, and go find some home made single malts and end the day early.
What is clear to me is that in marketing yourself, you have to stand out in some way. I do not believe that's done with variations on the pumpkin. What I do believe is that you need a solid design that uses color that sets you aside from everyone else. That for me means making your own color. I hear, again and again how my color work is not like other glasswork. Listen to that and go work on making yourself unique. It's hard and long work but it has a great payoff.

Mark is coming in June, or so he threatens. . That should be the highlight of the year for me.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote: The Germans said " A good recipe can't cross the street." That's true. Croucher added on: "or across the studio".

Coming from a background in research, I learned that the devil is in the details. Even scientists follow protocols and recipes with varying levels of success in terms of the final quality of data. Those with a penchant for clean data are said to have good "hands". To me, it is the ability to recognize how and where in a process things need to be done in a certain way.

A good recipe can certainly cross the street...just ask Jesse Pinkman. But...when things go wrong you've got to have Walter White on speed dial.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:41 PM
The Old Gaffer

Try building a furnace then. Weigh stuff in varying humidity. Read about the futility of making mayonnaise in an electrical storm. At times , I can't quantify shit.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM

You're Walter White.