CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Sankar View Post
Eben if there is a space around the burner shouldn't it sucks air and keep the burner cooler??? If you put fiber it stops the air and what happens now?
Franklin
Actually after thinking about that for a while, the answer is that the furnace would want to use the gap of air space as a flue. A glory hole is open so the pressure is relieved through the opening in the door.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:51 PM

Hugh Jenkins is on a distinguished road
Glory holes are really an open vent hot chamber. The burner can act as a venturi and pull cool air. Furnaces are a more limited vent system that results in a positive pressure inside the fire box. The burner runs at such low internal pressure that it does not act so much as a venturi.

Some of the early sticktite burners that were blower pressured did create some draw in the burner block but this was easily overcome with better doors. It was not at all rare to see flame back around burner heads.

The above are very general and may not apply to the improvements we have made in furnace design.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
Dudley always suggested you use some fiber around his burners when installing them in furnaces.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fuhrman View Post
Dudley always suggested you use some fiber around his burners when installing them in furnaces.
True but only at the very tip of the burner. He wants the body of it to be cold.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fuhrman View Post
Furnace yes. Glory hole no
Old 04-30-2017, 08:35 PM

Franklin Sankar is on a distinguished road
This has always been a mystery to me. Getting nearer to the answer now.
When I close the door of the glory hole I do get some flames backing out of the gh burner port space. I then reduce the burner pressure. When the door is open I don't get flame out the burner space. That makes sense because it has a better path to get out i.e. The open door.
Franklin

Last edited by Franklin Sankar; 05-01-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Changed propane to burner pressure
Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Combustion of an air/gas mix expands at around a 25 to 1 ratio which helps explain all those explosions you see on television shows. It happens fast.

So, if you have a closed box with no vent and you have a burner lit, that mix is going to expand and needs somewhere to go. If the door is shut, it will try to come back out from whence it came. That in turn creates pressure on the burner and you have to try turning up the air gas pressure to overcome the back pressure. That uses excess fuel and wastes money plus not allowing the air fuel mix to really develop so you don't get the temps you want. Just about any furnace where the burner comes in from the side is going to operate more efficiently than one with a burner that comes in from the top. Putting a flue on it actually gets it hotter. It needs to be sized properly. Back in '76 at Pilchuck when I pulled the burners out of the tops of those old Toledo style furnaces, gas consumption dropped about 30%.