CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 11:15 PM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
Anyone cast with Spectrum Prem Nuggs?

I've done some hot casting and kiln casting/fusing with Spruce Pine and while the hot pours were fine, doing anything in the kiln seemed to be very prone to devit.

Anyone try kiln work with the 2.0 Prem Nugs? I'm interested in how it behaves in this situation and if devit is less of a risk vs. SP. I need to fuse up sheets close to an inch thick and want to use the 2.0 nuggs as clear frit.

thx

Last edited by David Patchen; 05-04-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
It's simply SP87 in cullet form. You should have exactly the same problem. Tom asked me to write up a formula that had no lithium which I did and Alfred tested it and found it way less prone to devit in your scenario. Problem is that it's a batch glass.
It could be mixed by East Bay or by Spruce Pine. It's my intellectual property and I can do what I want with it. Really shiny, polishes well.. Nice fat glass.

Cristalica was better from the devit point as opposed to SP87.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:37 PM

Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
Hi David, I'm curious about your process. How will you establish a 1" depth? Do you have a mold or pan that will hold the frit. How do you get it to release?

I do a lot of roll ups from my "floor models" and would be interested to know how to get a nice flat, rectangular sheet of glass. I usually end up with something pretty organic looking. Sort of like a novelty vomit shape... prior to doing my magic, of course.

I use graphite sheets that were available on ebay for a pretty good price. Take the mass of shards (slowly) up to 1380F and roll away.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

Henry's book says to fill the mold with rice and determine the volume in a gradated container that holds water. Pour the rice in and see where it comes up to. Then put the glass in and do a water displacement to that level.
I would think frit would be really bubbly. I'm far more inclined to make glass paperweights and put them in the mold.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Steve Stadelman is on a distinguished road
You can do some prevention of devit by spraying the cullet with a saturated solution of borax in water prior to heating.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Cecil McKenzie is on a distinguished road
David.... When you have trouble with devit with Spruce Pine are you letting the piece cool slowly or do you bring it down quickly. i use SP 87 w ER to make magnet pieces and small hearts (2.5 inch ) and usually don't have problems with devit. I usually open the kiln and let it drop to around 1000 F. then close the door . Wait a minute or so then open again tell it falls back to 1000 F then close it up . This technique may not work well with larger pieces possibly allowing too much shock to the work. Have not fused large pieces much.

i think I have heard devit occurs more if you linger in the 1200 or 1300F range where the little crystal have a chance to form.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

both glasses do better if they are crashed after the slump. Devit starts at around 1700 in furnace corners. It does do better if it does not cool slowly. That being said, there are a number of glasses that do far better, they just aren't cullets. 1300F is an issue with either glass. Cristalica does much better.

You'll get what you pay for.