CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Antiques & Classics

Old 01-16-2004, 02:40 PM

Richard Huntrods is on a distinguished road
Re: I have a degree in...science!

Quote:
Originally posted by David Williams
Literally, becoming not glass by crystal formation. If glass by definition has an amorphous structure, it can no longer be glass if it acquires a crystalline structure. So it de-vitrifies. Becomes not glass.
Cool! (pardon the pun).

I assume, from the previous posts on the topic, that this process is not easily reversed, correct?

Is it "infectious"? That is, once a pot of glass as de-vitrified (and then been emptied), will subsequent charges be more likely to de-vitrify or not?

Related to the last question, would you have to totally empty the crucible (as much as possible) before charging again, or could you charge a pot 1/2 full of de-vitrified glass with batch and make good glass?

Thanks,

-RIchard
Old 01-16-2004, 05:10 PM

Jay Holden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Huntrods

Anytime you're in Calgary, Jay!

-Richard

I've been wanting to attend the Calgary Stampede.
When is that Richard?

Thomas Edison
Old 01-16-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Holden

I've been wanting to attend the Calgary Stampede.
When is that Richard?
July 9 - 18, 2004.

For more information have look at:

http://www.calgarystampede.com/stampede/

It is quite a bit of fun. I was born in Calgary, so I had my fill from 1-10 (your parents take you), then from 16-20 (you go with your friends to see who barfs the most on the rides, then again sometime around 20-35 (when your kids are 1-10 and you take them), and finally when you're a grandparent.

However, it's also OK to take visitors.

-Richard
Old 01-16-2004, 06:28 PM

Oh yea, almost forgot.

Depending on the year, it will either be wet and cold the whole time, or hot enough to cook eggs on the asphalt streets!

This is Calgary! Our coldest months tend to be November and March - at least by my recollection. Lately, Dec-Feb have been mild (this year extra mild), March has been very cold, and we often get large snow dumps in April and May.

Actually, I now beleive (thanks to the last two years) we've had snow in every single month!

That means the Tin Shack will either be comfortable (if it's rainy), or unbearable (if it's hot)!

Allan told me I should wheel the glory hole outside for summer. That would be cool!

-Richard
Old 01-16-2004, 07:47 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Richard Huntrods
[b]

July 9 - 18, 2004.

Thanks Richard, I have vacation from July 2nd threw August 2nd. I can't promice but I may be able to make it up there for the stampede this year. That is if I don't go to Alabama to play with the heli pilots at Ft. Rucker.
Jay.

Thomas Edison
Old 01-16-2004, 09:51 PM

Steve Stadelman is on a distinguished road
I was in the service, what do you do at Fort Mother Rucker Jay?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
As a fourteen year old boy, I took my grandfather to the fiftieth stampede. He had attended the first one. I loved the chuckwagon races. My grandfather sat on the porch of an old friends house and they argued about protestants and catholics for the entire two weeks. I'm half Irish. The family is in Port Stewart on the north sea. I rode with my grandfather across the giants causeway for four days on horseback. They are wonderful memories.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by steve stadelman
I was in the service, what do you do at Fort Mother Rucker Jay?
"Grin" Fort Mother Rucker is where I'm Retiring to Steve. I'm an aviation buff and I have friends at Rucker that let me play with the governments toys when I visit. Course now that they are buttoned down from all this terrorisum stuff It may be a little harder to get them to let me play. My pals down there are Heli pilots and they also fly R/C (radio control) Drones. I and my son are R/C pilots and I also fly ultra lites and helicopters. Been doing it for 25yrs. It's my second passion next to blowing glass. When I retire (which may be in 3yrs) I'm moving to enterprise Alabama which is just outside the Fort. Have you been there Steve? If you have I'll say Hi to the Bol Weavle for you.
Jay.

Thomas Edison
Old 01-17-2004, 07:24 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Pete VanderLaan
I'm half Irish.

Boy Pete, That explains alot. I'm half Irish Too.

Thomas Edison
Old 01-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Jim Vormelker

Quote:
Oh yea, almost forgot.

This is Calgary ... and we often get large snow dumps in April and May.
And how is it that I didn't see THAT in the Red Deer Extension Services flyer????

Quote:

Allan told me I should wheel the glory hole outside for summer. That would be cool!
What fascinating perspective this board gives. If you learn your glass blowing in Southern Calif, you know this is an outdoor activity. Indoor glory holes. What a concept...

Jim V
Old 01-17-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Vormelker

And how is it that I didn't see THAT in the Red Deer Extension Services flyer????
Beats me! Two years ago Randy and I took Darren Peterson's course at Red Deer College's "Summer Series" (2 weeks in May), and it snowed the whole first week.

The glory holes were most welcome! (the entire setup is outside under a very large glass and steel shed - some protection from the elements, but mostly open.

Quote:

What fascinating perspective this board gives. If you learn your glass blowing in Southern Calif, you know this is an outdoor activity. Indoor glory holes. What a concept...

Jim V
It's the only way when the temperature is -10C!!!

-Richard
Old 01-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Jim Vormelker

Quote:
It's the only way when the temperature is -10C!!!
-Richard
If you say "-10C" in SoCal, you loose your lease and your driver's license and your car reg, and you have to move directly to Montana, leaving your surf board and outdoor glory hole behind.

Most of the population here came from Keokuk IA or Willowick OH or Cloudersport PA or Cour de Laine ID Kangakee IL. They know where not to get sent back.

You also loose the ability to vote on some pretty stupid propositions in the state-wide elections, whihc many consider to be a benefit ALMOST compensating for the loss of outdoor glass work.

JV