CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 04:16 AM

Jacqueline Knight is on a distinguished road
Gaffer Glass NZ merger with Northstar

Big fish in a small pond...

February, 2018.

Dear Gaffer Customers,

This is an official announcement from the directors to inform you of important changes which are taking place in the near future. Up until now we have not been in a situation where we have been able to provide any certainty as to whether any of the aforementioned changes would actually take place.

Gaffer Coloured Glass Ltd is in the process of merging with Northstar Glass Inc in Portland, Oregon, USA.

This move has been brought about by several developments, primarily that the lease on our building in New Zealand expires this year, necessitating a relocation to new premises.

There are many reasons for the move to the States, not least being that USA is our biggest market and also that we have been developing a symbiotic partnership with Northstar now for several years. The benefits of the two companies merging is too great for either party to ignore, coupled with the fact that Northstar has recently moved into a new facility which has room for both entities. Both companies have been at the forefront of responsible environmental control of emissions, with Gaffer providing technical support to Northstar in setting up their new state-of-the-art filtration baghouse.

What this means for our Australian customers is that there will no longer be a distribution base in Auckland. All Australasian orders will be serviced from our existing warehouse in Kent, Washington, USA. Contact details there are: www . gafferglassusa . com Email: manager @ gafferglassusa . com
Old 02-16-2018, 07:05 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Whoa. Thatís big news. Hopefully it all goes smoothly!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Marc Carmen is on a distinguished road
So what does this mean for enamel whites, reds, yellows, rare earth colors, etc.? I'd think at least an increase in price.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:31 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I can finally comment after knowing about this for a while.

The market for raw materials is essentially a worldwide competition. Much material is bought in S. Korea interestingly. Big monkey pots from China now, not Germany. The company has been using stringent pollution control since the inception so that won't change anything.I don't think I could agree that Northstar has had the same stance and certainly was pushed to the altar by the DEQ during the debacle over Bullseye glass.

Gaffer began making boro glasses for Northstar some time back and John says that watching the action at 2850F is interesting. The prices boro makers get per lb are simply astonishing compared to the soft glass pricing. To their credit, Northstar has don some remarkable work with color in cullet. I think that some of the most interesting artwork has been coming out of the BK group for some time.
Each company will continue making their own products independently.
It's one big building.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
This is sounding like the mother of all field trips in a few years.

Good luck Gaffer !
Old 02-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Well, damn, I guess a visit to New Zealand can be removed from my bucket list now..
Old 02-16-2018, 03:17 PM

Jacqueline Knight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
Well, damn, I guess a visit to New Zealand can be removed from my bucket list now..
Tell me about it! The price of color in Australia and NZ will be astronomical now factoring in shipping. Luke Jacomb told me about the move last year and he said they ship all their materials to a tiny island, then ship 90% of their product to the other side of the world. It makes sense they move to the States but the handmade glass industry down under will get a huge shake up.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:27 PM
The Old Gaffer

It's certainly part of the problem of being a smaller client. I long ago thought the move to BC to be interesting but there are a lot of issues in play here. If you looked alone at the price of Arsenic in the US compared to the world price, you'd be floored. Lead I suspect will become an issue. If you look at the price of gaffer in the US right now, it's shipped to BC in containers by gaffer from Auckland.

That costs. So now you get it shipped to you. Welcome to the high price of not knowing how to make your own color. In the Shanghai shop, it buys from Gaffer . Material costs are cheaper as is labor but fuel is really expensive.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:13 PM

Peter Bowles is on a distinguished road
I'll admit to being somewhat relieved by this news, despite there being some inevitable cost implications for us in Australia, the big factor for me is that the move suggests there is a longer term view for the future of Gaffer. I don't know any of the details but it does all suggest that there is some type of succession plan to see gaffer colour being made well into the future. And that to me is a great relief. So much of what I do now depends on some quite specific material properties of their glasses, and to have to start again with a new product would be a real headache if possible at all.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 AM
The Old Gaffer

John Croucher is ten years older than John Leggot. Leggot is 60 I believe and is still invincible in his view. So, I do think you are safe. I think it's safe to say that John C would like to be less involved in the day to day operations of Gaffer. The company isn't going anywhere.