CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Classified Ads/ Opportunities

Old 02-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Marcel Braun is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Seeking SAVAGE coldworker in Eugene OR

Established borosilicate Murrini factory in Eugene OR seeks a coldworking professional.
Our equipment is as follows:

18" ASW lap wheel with custom coin polishing fixture.
somer and maca belt sander
Titan Cab machine
Nortel 14" glass saw, scientific style
Heathway 2hp 14" overhead beam saw with 20" table stroke
Faceting machine
electroforming setup
Anything else we actually need can be budgeted for.

Most importantly we have an attached fabrication area and an attitude of engineering for success. Any fixture needed is attainable with the correct steps. We don't mess with "toy" or hobby equipment and are looking for a candidate who has a track record of working with industrial type gear and can contribute to the design and implementation of a low skill high throughput bevel and polish process for coins. We want a system we can trust

Due to the massive throughput of coins we may decide to run grit on dedicated wheels or reciprolap machines. Tumbling is also something we are considering. Experience with these processes would be highly beneficial and cost analysis of the per coin polishing cost will be part of the job responsibilities.

In addition to polishing the finished coins, the murrini setups require extensive cold working to accurate geometric shapes. Cooperation with the Hotshop department to minimize the labor required in the coldshop will be key.

The correct candidate will be ready to slice and cerium polish over 1000 coins per week using the systems we have developed and obviously improving or revising them as needed. In addition to polishing murrini coins creative work shall be created from the byproducts of the hotshop using coldworking technique, gluing, and hot assembly (boro is champ for some things soft glass wouldnt like too well). Pendants, spheres, paperweights, laminations etc from scraps. Guest and resident artists will be supported with coldworking assistance.

Project management, equipment maintenance, workspace organization, signage, protocols and volunteer coordination are crucial responsibilities for this position. Weekly documentation of supplies used, coins polished, equipment issues and labor hours (yours and volunteers) will be a requirement. You will design and construct bin and shelving systems for maximum efficiency, teach volunteers how to work within our system, and if it is mutually agreeable offer some coldworking classes for the community in Eugene. Maintaining an overall perspective on the shop workflow is crucial to ensure that there are no bottlenecks. We are a small business and you will be one of few team members so there may be times when job duties range outside of the cold shop.

Salary to start at 16.00 per hour for 30 hour/week. +25% compensation if salary is taken fully in Art Units. Weekly commission/bonuses for achieving goals set at beginning of week to be negotiated. 20/hr to be achievable by meeting weekly goals within 30 hours. I expect you to be self managing and aware of the fluctuating workload as we prepare for and attend shows. Teaching classes (not volunteers) to be negotiated in addition to above compensation. Access to cold shop and fabrication during off hours is provided for personal work. Shop access also includes use of guest flameworking station (must leave space clean and unoccupied when not in use), and ability to book time in the hotshop for personal projects with a qualified crew. Permanent flamework station available for rent/worktrade. Possible room available on property for rental to facilitate relocation if needed.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please email to marcelbraun.33@gmail.com

A coldworking savage: One who has transcended the "right" way, through experience, and is ready to operate directly based on thorough observation and creative thought. We will achieve goals many would call unattainable by the application of true critical thought.

Art Units: Murrini coins designed to be a functional exchange medium as an alternative to currency. Because each coin carries the intrinsic value of time and material there is no need for a government or backing system. We network people together for the purpose of exchanging coins at face value for goods and services and our collectors seek coins for their collections to be complete. This progresses the individual coins' unique value without penalizing users of the system for exchange.

Last edited by Marcel Braun; 02-02-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add contact info
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
I've been working with Marcel this last year on some of his projects down there. This could be a whole lot of fun for the right person.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:22 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I'm post savage but I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams one person being able to come close to doing what is in that job description. The Mexican Nationals who worked for me in 1988 got a better deal at $17.00 hr plus paid vacation. But, I'm wrong most of the time.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:42 PM

Michael Mortara is on a distinguished road
Thatís asking a lot for $16 bucks an hour, really. You pay for top notch equipment you should do the same for your talent.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Marcel Braun is on a distinguished road
How much for what then?

What do people pay their coldworkers? 16 guaranteed and weekly opportunity to negotiate a performance bonus to 20. (I want to pay 20, just need to have self management and accountability) Additional opportunities for profit lurk throughout the organization. I see people paying 12 to 15 bucks an hour mostly for people to work on shop equipment. As for this hire, I should clarify that I am not expecting design and fabrication to achieve an unmet goal, I am looking for an operator of my existing polishing system, which is improving daily,to achieve production goals. (I can already polish almost 100 smaller coins an hour.) The savage opportunity is making cool stuff out of murrini scrap to collaborate with the project and accessing facilities for personal work or teaching.

17 an hour in 1988 is 36 an hour today. 1080 a week for 30 hours. We would need to create quite a lot of secondary artwork from the hotshop byproduct on top of keeping up with the coins to support this but it would be possible to get there with growth by designing product for the coldshop to fabricate.

In the mean time, 500 a week is what I have found to be sustainable within our cashflow based on current outputs.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, 500 a week is 2k per month, or 24K per year. No time off. . I assume there's no vacation or insurance. But since it is only 30 hours a week the lucky guy would be able to get a part time job somewhere . Based on the description you gave of the duties, there's really a job for two people and that would not include volunteers or polishing for guests or developing tools. So it's poverty level wage in an expensive part of the world.

When I said I paid 17 bucks an hour, I had four people polishing for me. That was costly but I sure got great product. They were incredible but I trained each of them myself. I didn't ask them to do anything beyond the job description initially. I'll admit that the Mexican Nationals tended to do a better job than the white kids or at least one of them.

I just went back and re read the job description. I just don't think it's realistic or even close. .
I mean, are you getting swamped with qualified candidates? Just remember that adage, "you get what you pay for."
Old 02-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Javier was such a nice guy. I hope heís doing well Pete.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:07 PM
The Old Gaffer

He is fighting deportation as always .He came here at fifteen. He currently has a very successful construction business. He did remarry and has a daughter who is an American Citizen. He wanted to come East with us and we told him it would not be what he envisioned. I saw him last summer, doing really well.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:45 PM

My fingers are crossed for him!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Hereís a great life lesson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C2D9B8F-0D3C-44B9-AF73-021DC11B7FC5.jpg (31.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Mike McCain

Its funny, the common definition of Savage is exactly the opposite of what you're looking for in a coldworker. Maybe its an industry term I'm unfamiliar with.
Orwell wrote a less famous book called Down and Out in Paris and London. Having been ( Being?!) one of those 'have tools, will travel' glass makers, I take the perspective that you're offering work in a part of the world people might feel lucky to occupy. Hierarchy's a bitch.
Bartering glass coins in lieu of Cash sounds so crunchy NorthWesterly, its got to work for Someone, if they can fit that shoe.
I agree with Jordan. It could be a whole lot of fun. Fun Fun Fun.

Last edited by Mike McCain; 02-11-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Freudian slip
Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCain View Post
Bartering glass coins in lieu of Cash sounds so crunchy NorthWesterly,
Fun Fun Fun.
Great for making a downpayment on a car.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
Hereís a great life lesson.
Thatís funny
Reminds me when my son sent a couple guys down to weld back in place an eight foot square access steel plate for an Atlanta water tank...sleep tight