CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Mark Rendulic is on a distinguished road
Transporting a moly furnace

I have a opportunity to pick up a used electric furnace with moly elements. Does anybody have any experience moving one of these? I am concerned that the elements will not survive the trip. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Removing the elements is absolutely necessary. When you do it, have a place where you know you will take them and be ready to cushion them immediately. When you pull them, you will also be pulling the passage brick that holds them. If you are quite fortunate you won't break any. Much depends on which element is which. The 6/12 is far more fragile than the 9/18 . You should probably expect at least a bit of damage and be ready to replace the lost units. Charlie Correll makes new passage bricks.
As to the furnace itself, I like to fill the lower half with foam rubber or something like it and to then put an inner tube in the upper half and to inflate it slowly to where it supports the crown. If you can't do that, remove the crown.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
What Pete says is good. Also, if all the elements do survive and you get them back in, expect one to snap on heat up. I would say this happens 30% of the time, depending of course on the age of the element and how it was hung and treated during its lifetime. Have a couple of spare elements in bricks made up. The worse thing that will happen is you will have spares on hand when you need them. That's been my experience with a whole lot of other people's furnaces anyway.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:28 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Did I mention, I sell elements and straps?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Rule #1-
ALWAYS have spare elements, straps, and passage bricks!! Extra fuses are good to have too...
Rule #2-
See rule #1
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Sounds good. I will prepare a container for the elements prior to shipping. I have plenty of foam rubber so that is a great solution to the crown issue. thanks for your advice. Oh and Pete I will be in touch for the elements and a crucible.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
get a yoga ball and deflate it. Then stick it inside your furnace with the valve facing your gathering port and inflate it just enough that is is snug between your pot and your crown.

Tell the flat bed truck driver to drive like his grandmother is in the passenger seat and she is wearing her sundays best dress and is holding a full gravy boat on her lap.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:30 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I drove one in a uhaul about 250 miles. Pulled the elements and left the crown in. Packed the inside sort of how Eben is saying except we used packing towels and one of those balance balls you sit on. Which I guess is about the same thing.

We did loose one element but that was because after all the prep we did someone absent mindedly tossed a pair of shoes into the back of the truck seat before we took the elements out.

We did have the use of a forklift and rollup warehouse doors which made everything much simpler...at least at our shop anyway getting it out of the seller's shop was very interesting tale that could stand it's own telling.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 02-26-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:56 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
r...at least at our shop anyway getting it out of the seller's shop was very interesting tale that could stand it's own telling.
I can imagine!!!!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:25 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
I drove one in a uhaul about 250 miles. Pulled the elements and left the crown in. Packed the inside sort of how Eben is saying except we used packing towels and one of those balance balls you sit on. Which I guess is about the same thing.

We did loose one element but that was because after all the prep we did someone absent mindedly tossed a pair of shoes into the back of the truck seat before we took the elements out.

We did have the use of a forklift and rollup warehouse doors which made everything much simpler...at least at our shop anyway getting it out of the seller's shop was very interesting tale that could stand it's own telling.
Balance ball... yoga ball... same thing !

Where did the furnace come from?
Old 02-26-2018, 05:14 PM

It's from Sand-N-Fire Glass north of Houston. The guy is retiring and wants to unload his whole studio. I'm just not sure that it is the right fit for me. I don't have a lot of space and his equipment is quite large. Just because you like the price does not mean the fit is nice...
Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 PM

Ralph Laborde is on a distinguished road
What brand is the moly and what size pot?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Not sure about the brand. I believe that he got the elements and crucible from Pete. 300# Pot.

Last edited by Mark Rendulic; 03-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Barb Sanderson is on a distinguished road
Mark you will want to transport those elements hanging on a rack if possible instead of lying flat. The 6/12's will break if you just look at them sideways. Also I highly recommend labelling the passage bricks with numbers so you could re-insert the elements in the same spot. The elements over time will warp a bit and it's easier to put them back in the same place they came out from.
Barb