CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM

Pringle Teetor is on a distinguished road
Bubbles between cane

I have finally been doing some cane work (hard to do solar for the first time in a few years. Iím rolling up cane on a collar and for some reason yesterday I was getting bubbles between the canes here and there for the first time. Once I rolled up and went into heat, some canes became unfused in the middle. Was it not fused enough? Was my reheat too long? Any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:48 PM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
When freshly rolled up (before you pinch the bottom) you can use your Jacks along the outside (sometimes at an angle) to help pinch all the canes together. This may be redundant but could help you out.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM

Peter Bowles is on a distinguished road
Turning the plate a couple of times between heats and gently squeezing the canes together before rolling up will prevent bubbles. Just allow for the marginal loss in circumference when you make your collar.

Some do, some don't, but I'm an advocate of preheating everything to around 600 before going into the glory hole. It helps in that you have to do far less heating in the glory hole where the heat distribution across the plate is very uneven.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
sounds dumb, but when was the last time those canes were really clean?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:39 PM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringle Teetor View Post
I was getting bubbles between the canes here and there
If you weren't gathering over them and they got bubbly as you heated them, I agree with Pete's suspicions--there must be some dirt/baking soda/ash/etc between the canes. That's the only thing I could imagine that would create bubbles between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringle Teetor View Post
Once I rolled up and went into heat, some canes became unfused in the middle. Was it not fused enough? Was my reheat too long? Any thoughts?
Definitely not well enough fused if they came apart in the hole. When picking up on a collar I have my assistant get them pretty toasty through 2-3 heats. They should have glowing, rounded ends but not melted flat--that's way too hot. Once they're flexible, we usually give it a good squeeze or two so they're well stuck together. Squeeze them too cold and you get pick-up sticks. Roll them up immediately after your assistant comes out of the gh while they're still flexible (but not floppy) and you're good. If you pick them up after your assistant has been out of the gh too long, they may have cooled and will crack and separate as you roll them up--that's a disaster. If they're still hot and moving after you pick up, you can quickly close them and brush them. If they're feeling stiff after rolling up, take a short flash, then close them and brush them. Once they're closed and brushed, then take a short heat and use your jacks on the outside (vertically like you're putting in a neckline) to squeeze them all together. Then they should be quite stable and ready for whatever you want to do.

Do it a few dozen/hundred times and you'll get a good feel for the heats.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:56 AM

Pringle Teetor is on a distinguished road
Cleaning them as they go on the plate. Probably not squeezing enough on the last two where I had the problems. I do the jacks around the roll up but I think I waited too long on the ones in question. These are great tips so thanks!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:22 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I spent my first real time making cane with Gary Beecham at Pilchuck in 76 I recall. As quickly as he made cane, he put it in PVC tubes. It could not get dirty or dusty that way. Fine glass powder on a cane can cause bubbles. Cleaning cane after it has been out in the studio for a while is problematic.

Bubbles caused otherwise would suggest that the cane was not the same diameter yet was laid on the ferro quite close but also not necessarily straight.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM

Peter Bowles is on a distinguished road
Not likely, but also a possibility, is that if you have any residual texture on the cane from marvering before running the cane out you can trap micro bubbles between, particularly if you are making twisted cane.