CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 PM

Tim Bassett is on a distinguished road
250# gas furnace consumption

I am considering building a gas furnace with approx 250 lb crucible. I would like to know what the energy consumption per hour is likely to be at full fire.
I understand there are a lots of variables so a ball park figure is fine.
Lets see the general consensus.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:20 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
250K Btu/hr
Old 10-17-2018, 05:47 AM

Peter Bowles is on a distinguished road
Are you on natural gas there?
Curious to know why you're thinking of changing - or is this in addition to the moly?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:21 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
My biggest complaint about the moly was slow recovery time and nothing beats gas when you can just crank on the fuel.

That being said, Combustion space is critical to a gas unit and it strikes me that there's an entry level cost to using gas no matter how small the unit. For years now, I've kept all my clear and color pots in the same furnace and the added color never seemed to change the operational costs if the high fire schedule was the same.
I think that the number of times you do melt determines costs. It's where all the expense is. In evaluating whether people need a larger furnace, I want to know how many times a week they are charging the pot. My ideal world has one working five days a week, then refill the thing on day six. Day seven either drink beer or go to church and on the following day go back to work. If you charge more frequently, Your pot is too small and you're spending cash on that sizing.
I actually don't like large pots at all. They're expensive and unwieldy. They need far more coddling. For me, anything beyond a 24 inch pot suggests an AZS tank to be a better plan. Even so, I sell a lot of 28 and 34 inch pots.

It's also got to be figured in as to whether the furnace is recuperated and well insulated. That has a huge effect on costs.

But push comes to shove, I doubt a 250lb pot would cost any different than a 19 inch pot in the right furnace except for the charging time. I far prefer two pots, side by side. You can even fill one while working the other.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Curtis Dionne is on a distinguished road
I'm loving my new 24 inch pot and 3 color pots in the furnace. I'm actually moderating heat much better and only cooking once per week.
Before this I had 2 16 inch pots and was cooking every 3rd day.
I burn wood so it's a bit different, but I I went from burning 1.5 cord per week with the small pots to burning 1 cord per week with the 24 inch pot and 3 color pots.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Curious how often you have to throw more wood in there Curtis. Is it a regular timing or based on other factors? Do you have to feed the furnace in the middle of the night to maintain temp? I'm not thinking of switching to wood anytime soon, just interested in how it all goes with that fuel source.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:37 AM

Curtis Dionne is on a distinguished road
With the dampers closed I need to put wood in every 4 hours to maintain 1000c. That's up once in the night. I open the dampers and add wood every hour during the day when I'm blowing or charging and cooking. When I'm done for the day I close the dampers again for evening and night. I burn a cord per week and melt 400 pounds of glass. I live in a hardwood area and the fuel is carbon neutral, local, tax free, totally manageable and renewable. I'm very happy with this system that I developed over ten years. Fuel cost is 1000 dollars per month and I also work out of the furnace as a glory hole.
Its stellar
Old 11-06-2018, 04:30 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
This is just kind of interesting to see it being done a different way than anything I have seen with my own eyes.

The idea of the commitment to that is hard to wrap my head around but it does seem somehow fitting for you.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:51 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Eventually, I'm moving this to antiques and classics. I was brought up in glass this way. It is a very spiritual ritualistic way to view your world. It's just not something I see anymore. In ceramics, the aspirational kiln is long gone. I spent time always doing the arch calcs. The Corning movie in Afghanistan gets it just right. "Good Potash tastes sweet."