CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 06:09 AM
Registered Lurker

Steve Lazer is on a distinguished road
Stripping

Happy new year to all

Ok as somewhat of a newbie who has been blowing part time for the last 8 or so years, I still do not understand the concept of gathering and then subsequently stripping the gather. This is especially confusing to me when one goes in for a third gather after that. It seems wasteful to me.

If the challenge is redistribution of the gather or then one should be able to work the fresh glass into the correct position on the bubble.

Please share your thoughts and comments

Thanks

Steve
Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 AM
rEgisturd Spelunker

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Happy new year to you, Steve.

The purpose of stripping is to control the thickness of the gather. It has nothing to do with redistribution. You may notice that most times when someone strips it is on larger parisons. When a piece gets larger it can be challenging to control the amount of glass that adheres to the surface while in the furnace. Factors that determine the amount of glass that is gathered include rate of rotation when lifting out of the glass, and relative coolness of glass on the end of the pipe. In the past (when I was still able to work larger pieces) we would always try to allow as much glass to run off while slowly rotating above the glass line. This works if the pot is half full, but doesn't really work when the glass line is higher. If your piece is already thin (such as with graal or cane pickups) you want to get in and out of the furnace as quickly as possible to avoid distortion of the bubble.

When I was really green during my second semester of glass blowing I would watch the advanced students do it. I thought "that's a really slick move," but I didn't understand the why. I emulated the moves, and taught myself how to do it. Once I knew I filed it away for future reference knowing I would understand better later when it was necessary.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I strip to have colors as close to the surface as possible but not be on the surface.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:36 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
This thread title is way misleading..
Old 01-04-2020, 03:09 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
This thread title is way misleading..
Paying that gas bill sometimes requires drastic measures
Old 01-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Greg and Eben's examples of when to do it are excellent, but I often see it overused because people don't actually know how to gather the right amount of material out of the tank in the first place. In most cases, if you can, avoid it; in gas and/or glass you're creating waste. That being said, the best thing I've found to strip into is a graphite crucible, comes out extremely clean.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:31 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
We put a stop to the procedure when I was teaching at Pilchuck in '77. Ben was doing it a lot on big bowls but it got out of control. I think at the time I was seeing about 3,000 lbs a week coming off the back of the marver into trays.

Gathering well in the first place seems to be a reasonable plan.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:09 AM
Registered Lurker

Steve Lazer is on a distinguished road
Thank you

All, thank you for the thoughtful responses.

I have to agree with Pete on this one as it seems to be more about controlling the gather than removing excess out of the furnace.

I do agree on a rare occasion there is a reasonable point in stripping excess glass post gather.

Perhaps again this is my naïveté but I generally work with glass the way the glass wants to go creating more organic forms than the traditional shapes.

Thanks again

Steve