CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Color fades with color bar overlays

Everyone here seems to love answering glassblowing technique questions, so here's one for ya, it's about doing a "fade" with an overlay color. I'm as modest as they come, but I feel comfortable saying I'm very good after all these years at getting an even-as-possible color layer from an overlay of bar color. What I have had no experience with until one recent attempt is going for a fade, so that either the top of the final piece is almost clear and the bottom is dense color, or vice versa. I'm attaching an image from one of Ed Schmidt's books on this. On my one try so far, I did set up the starter bubble like his drawings, did try to smoosh the color around that way with the marver and did get some fading, but I'm hoping for more of an almost-clear in the area of the piece where the color is least dense. Perhaps I'm just heating up too large of a section of bar for doing this? Perhaps another trick after taking the first gather over that start, like inflating sooner than usual? Any other suggestions? Eben, I know ya got something for me here..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9785.jpg (22.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Pringle Teetor is on a distinguished road
Smile

Iíve done this where the bubble is a long cone, very pointy and quite cool. The color drop is quite hot and I push the color as flat as possible and evenly past the point and then marver it the rest of the way at an angle. If a reheat is needed I try not to get the core so hot it moves, but keep the color hot so it does move making it more dense at the top of the piece and clear at the bottom. No science behind this, just country glass blowing experience.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I gather the color from the pot and squash it back as far as I can towards the head of the blowpipe, really flat, then, without blowing, I case in clear and blow it out, recasing dependent on the size of the finished piece. The bubble inevitably blows right through the color into the next gather which is what I wanted. I'll neck it down based on how the color comes off the pipe.

John Nickerson used to do a reverse version of this blowing by a swedish style where he blew the piece into the foot. He would gather his color and indent the base with a pointy tool and then airgun the bubble in. I always liked that style of making glass and still occasionally do it. Essentially, the piece is blown from both ends and the blowpipe end is ground and polished.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
You can do a thin even overlay and then add a second. Bit of the same color to the bottom to get an intense fade
Old 01-09-2019, 12:40 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I do it the way Pete does it if I am solo and it works well. However if I have an assistant around I can do it faster with more control as follows:

If you are having problems getting the fad to clear after doing your over lay follow the instructions in the book but right before you gather give it about a 8 to 12 count with just the very tip of the piece at the threshold of the gloryhole doors to warm up the tip of the color. That will allow the bubble to run out the bottom of the color and get the effect you are looking for. The bubble is going to take the path of lease resistance. Give it one.

If you want it to be more drastic leave it longer or hit it with a torch. Warning that bubble is going to jump off the bottom go easy until you get a feel for it. Not saying this is the right way just my way of doing it. It has yielded consistently good results for me and with some creative marvering you can even control where the fade starts with pretty good accuracy.

I do something very similar to what Eden does for the other direction.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 01-09-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

Eden? You elevate the boy a bit much I suspect...
Old 01-09-2019, 03:30 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I blame it on auto-correct but we all know I just have a brain that miss fires at times.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Eden. Edwin. Ebenezer. I have heard it all....
Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Make a small starter bubble with the bubble blown out at the tip. Take a small bit of color and overlay as usual. Block your gathers so you have a reservoir of glass off the end. Once everything is hot, hold the glass up to squat the bubble up and blow you bubble out. That's the gist of it anyway. I don't know what your typical blowing style is. Trial and error with something like that should get you where you want. For awhile I had done so many of those for Macchia, Persian, and Basket sets I forgot how to make things even!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM
The Old Gaffer

If I want to do that, I just take the color gather, get it really hot and stick the needle end of the jacks into the end of the gather and push it all the way back to the pipe opening. Then I heat it again and blow it hard. The bubble pops. Tool it open. then thin.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 PM

Jesse Bogenrief is on a distinguished road
I saw this video on instagram and have seen others do a overlay in similar fashion. It might be a way to control color density.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp5N4HDFCAJ/
Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 PM

Nick Delmatto is on a distinguished road
Jesse, I'm too frugal to waste that much good color for the effect.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Delmatto View Post
Jesse, I'm too frugal to waste that much good color for the effect.
Nick, glad to see you've never changed. You've still got a good set of values.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:16 PM
The Old Gaffer

given what color costs per KG as a boutique product, I have to agree. If on the other hand you make your own, you can use third gathers of gold ruby and not feel guilt.

I just melted 7KG of a copper blue. It cost 14.00 bucks for the clear part and about .60 cents for the copper. I usually figure the Propane at around a buck a kg.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Bogenrief View Post
I saw this video on instagram and have seen others do a overlay in similar fashion. It might be a way to control color density.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp5N4HDFCAJ/
That's the "sbruffo" technique, done at Roberto Beltrtami's shop on Murano. It's a way to get veiled color layer(s). Tricky to do properly. He let me try one when we visited for the conference (Roberto was my Airbnb host). He has a color furnace with at least 8 pots in there, unusual even for Murano standards it seemed.