Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
what's the source on the screen shot?
It’s on the glassies page on FB
Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I looked and could not find it. It's hard for me to imagine Cristalica putting out promo photos with big stones. I understand that they have been pushing the furnace to supply well more than it is designed to deliver but I would really want to know the source of the information.

It sells readily. Spruce Pine got a container in yesterday and it was all sold by days end. I walked away from good money on that three years back.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM
PotatoFish

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I don't see it either. Maybe it got deleted.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
The clarity and shine of Cristalica has hit the toilet as well. It used to look like a box of diamonds when you opened it up. I have seen some pretty coke bottle looking stuff recently.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Sam Stang is on a distinguished road
Wow, there’s a lot of drama here on this one. I certainly agree with Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig. “Why not just do Glasma and be done with it”.
Ok, be nice to each other.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:27 PM
The Old Gaffer

GLASMA is nice stuff but it requires operator experience to use it Sam. No one puts a lot of stock in experience anymore.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
The clarity and shine of Cristalica has hit the toilet as well. It used to look like a box of diamonds when you opened it up. I have seen some pretty coke bottle looking stuff recently.
I think that to be true Jordan. The melter was not designed to run at the current level and bumping it 50% was bound to create issues. Spruce Pine continues to look good to me and GLASMA if you know how to melt it. Or, mine for that matter. There are a number of options besides problematic cullet.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:32 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Vriethoff View Post
I don't see it either. Maybe it got deleted.
Eben found it and sent it to me this afternoon. The cutter uses a lubricating oil that can leave a small black stain. It seems to burn out readily.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Any batch requires operator experience, Peter. I happen to think that Glasma is easier to deal with than Spruce. And it melts at a much lower temperature which translates to energy savings and significantly longer furnace/crucible life. I don't like the fact that it is shipped from overseas. I wish there was an equivalent, locally made product.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stang View Post
Any batch requires operator experience, Peter. I happen to think that Glasma is easier to deal with than Spruce. And it melts at a much lower temperature which translates to energy savings and significantly longer furnace/crucible life. I don't like the fact that it is shipped from overseas. I wish there was an equivalent, locally made product.
Doesn’t it take you 2 days to fill your pot though?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:04 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Any batch requires operator experience, Peter. I happen to think that Glasma is easier to deal with than Spruce.
In my experience, the higher barium content doesn't play well with alumina refractories and throws stones when run too hot. I don't know the other content fluxing it may have. It shows no evidence of boron physically. I do think it's a beautiful glass. Perhaps it has lithium, I simply don't know. It is a good deal more expensive than Spruce Pine but so is my formula.

If any decent stateside cullet maker came along making a batch glass into cullet that had good working properties, it would knock all of these products off the market. It would take a minimum of a half million dollars to do it initially, likely more. Importing cullet or batch from Europe is not a sane proposition.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Eben, I fill my furnace over the weekend at around 1950f when I have both furnaces running. This allows me to have it on high fire for a shorter period of time to cook it. When I don't have my other furnace on, I start the charge after work and fill it and cook it the next day. It doesn't have any effect on the glass quality. It just means that I have it on high fire for a long time to do the melt.

Peter, the stone issue that you mention is not a valid point in my experience and I have melted a lot of it over the years. I have never heard of this from anyone else either. I feel that a person would have to try fairly hard to have that happen. And the price issue is insignificant. I believe that the energy savings and longer crucible life with Glasma more than make up for it. If I didn't know better, I would be melting Spruce. And if there was a cullet that gave me the quality that I need for my work, I would be melting that.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

These days it feel like studios operate at very distinctly different levels. I see the experienced people with substantial sized furnaces capable of really producing serious heat as required on the gas level . They for the most part indeed do know how to handle batch.
Then, there's the ever growing wire melter bunch , with small pots and temperature limits determined by element life. Those guys are on a different track. They were hard to find in 2005, now, they're the main thing being built for weekend operations. They need cullet or they need a low melt batch and all the time in the world. I confess that when I do charge, it starts by 11:00AM and I want the melt done by 3:30, then it gets left really hot for about four hours ( 2400F), then turned down to 2200F overnight and I have perfect glass the next day. I no longer run big tanks. I sail the inland waterways. The glass I worked on for Littleton meets all my needs and could be melted a lot colder but that takes a lot of time, which I don't have.

I think if an operator has serious experience, GLASMA is fine. So is SP87, but the norm now is quite different. Just look at the questions in Glassies. Some are just painful. What isn't fine is poorly designed cullet that will cost an arm and a leg.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Eben, I fill my furnace over the weekend at around 1950f when I have both furnaces running. This allows me to have it on high fire for a shorter period of time to cook it. When I don't have my other furnace on, I start the charge after work and fill it and cook it the next day. It doesn't have any effect on the glass quality. It just means that I have it on high fire for a long time to do the melt.

Peter, the stone issue that you mention is not a valid point in my experience and I have melted a lot of it over the years. I have never heard of this from anyone else either. I feel that a person would have to try fairly hard to have that happen. And the price issue is insignificant. I believe that the energy savings and longer crucible life with Glasma more than make up for it. If I didn't know better, I would be melting Spruce. And if there was a cullet that gave me the quality that I need for my work, I would be melting that.
Fascinating. I have never heard of anyone doing it this way before. What is your cook temp and for how long?

A friend of mine tried Glasma after losing his Phillips batch connection and had stone issues as well as furnace erosion (wire Denver unit) and I wonder if they were cooking it too hot .
Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, as I was moving snow earlier and thought about it, there aren't many people who have a second furnace anyways. In most shops, the time lost doing that with a single unit would be remarkable.

The Corning protocols always said melt as cold as you can get away with, then turn it up. It sure meets the protocol
Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 PM
The Old Gaffer

and further, Eben, don't make any assumptions about what works for one formula would work for yours. Dudleys formula not only melted at 1950F, it fined out. It also dissolved.

There's lots of fish in the sea. At least three last count. Radar has them off of the coast of Africa.
If something works for you, don't change on a whim.

Worse: I don't know how a Denver could cook it too hot...
Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
and further, Eben, don't make any assumptions about what works for one formula would work for yours. Dudleys formula not only melted at 1950F, it fined out. It also dissolved.

There's lots of fish in the sea. At least three last count. Radar has them off of the coast of Africa.
If something works for you, don't change on a whim.

Worse: I don't know how a Denver could cook it too hot...
I’m not changing anything. I was just curious.
The Denver was melting at 2250 with glasma cooking was the same temp.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 PM

Andrew Horch is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple of photos of Kugler Cullet. It looks like rod that has been “slightly squared”. It is much larger than the cullet I have seen previously. I have it from someone who should know that when it is loaded into a furnace is goes “snap, crackle and pop”. He is looking into preheating it and he also wants to weight a number of boxes since it looks like it looks like it should be difficult to have all the boxes weigh exactly 25kg.

So far most of the feedback has been, better than Cristalica not as good at Spectrum.

Hurry up Gaffer!

IMG_2139.jpg
IMG_2138.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2138_sm.jpg (54.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2139_sm.jpg (32.6 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Andrew Horch; 01-20-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Photos did not load
Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Yikes! I'd def want to preheat that first..
Old 01-21-2019, 08:35 AM
The Old Gaffer

Just based on the shape, you can see it won't load in a pot well either. While preheating cullet is really being kind to your pot, it is a nuisance and added expense at the same time. I wonder how hot you would have to get it to not pop. It also appear to be rather sharp edged on some pieces. One of the nice things about the Cristalica is that you could actually scoop it out of the box with bare hands.

If gaffer is really doing anything, they're holding it awfully close to their chest.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:13 PM

Eben, my cook temp is 2175. For 3 hours. But... my furnace has a Hugh Jenkins recuperator and is somewhat underpowered. It takes quite a few hours to hit temp and then several more hours to drop below 2100. This means that it is over 2100 for more than 9 hours. I started melting Glasma at 2225 and kept dropping the high temp bit by bit. Btw, my 2nd furnace has an 80lb pot and I use it for color or clear depending on the situation.
I just noticed Peter's melt schedule. Holy crap, that's a lot of energy to melt a pot of glass.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 AM

Bob Meyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Horch View Post
Here are a couple of photos of Kugler Cullet. It looks like rod that has been “slightly squared”. It is much larger than the cullet I have seen previously. I have it from someone who should know that when it is loaded into a furnace is goes “snap, crackle and pop”. He is looking into preheating it and he also wants to weight a number of boxes since it looks like it looks like it should be difficult to have all the boxes weigh exactly 25kg.
Andrew, the chunks in my first couple boxes were squared like that, too - but subsequent ones were much more narrow, and just as round as color rod. They do pop, but actually no worse and for no longer than the Spectrum nuggets. I haven't pre-heated either these or the nuggets - just held the scoop over them for a few moments, and don't seem to be getting any delayed popping. Have used it for a few days now - seems to be very nice glass.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Eben, my cook temp is 2175. For 3 hours. But... my furnace has a Hugh Jenkins recuperator and is somewhat underpowered. It takes quite a few hours to hit temp and then several more hours to drop below 2100. This means that it is over 2100 for more than 9 hours. I started melting Glasma at 2225 and kept dropping the high temp bit by bit. Btw, my 2nd furnace has an 80lb pot and I use it for color or clear depending on the situation.
I just noticed Peter's melt schedule. Holy crap, that's a lot of energy to melt a pot of glass.
It's mostly based around my desire to get some sleep. I haven't been driven by costs all that much. It is a very small furnace and it's really easy to attain those temps. I can go from 1975 to 2400F in about an hour. My life is really unpredictable now as to when I may start a melt, sometimes only finding I can get in the studio by noon. So I'm a pig when it comes to economy. I could go back out there a lot earlier to squeeze but I lack the drive to do it.

My Irish friend melts initially at 2025F with the GLASMA and bumps to at about 2280 to finish the chemical reaction which he indicated was the EU dealer recommendation. He says he gets good glass.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meyer View Post
Andrew, the chunks in my first couple boxes were squared like that, too - but subsequent ones were much more narrow, and just as round as color rod. They do pop, but actually no worse and for no longer than the Spectrum nuggets. I haven't pre-heated either these or the nuggets - just held the scoop over them for a few moments, and don't seem to be getting any delayed popping. Have used it for a few days now - seems to be very nice glass.
What's the price per lb or Kg?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Bob Meyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What's the price per lb or Kg?
About the price you'd been projecting, $1.60/lb. Also have the ingredient list attached, as I'd guess you'd be curious. Hopefully the image is clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chemical analysis Kugler Clear.jpg (30.1 KB, 59 views)