CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 12:59 AM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
Home studio insurance?

Anyone have an insured home studio? I'm getting ready to build my shop but can't find anyone to cover the house w/ an attached (or separate) glass studio.

Going to be hard to do any sort of permanent setup w/o it.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Inquire with The Glass Art Society and the American Craft Council. Another possibility may be the Crafts Emergency Relief Fund.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:27 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
I might start with an insurance broker and see if you can take the opposite approach, look for a business insurance policy and tell them if they will insure your business they get the house business too. A business insurance broker may be more understanding of the business and willing to make the connections to get the house part covered.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
I found a local marine insurer who was happy to write cars, home, umbrella, business (incl. studio building) for decent prices and good coverage. The only thing they declined was motorcycle- said I could do better elsewhere.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 AM

I don't know if Florida is just terrible (it is) but none of the insurances I've spoken w/ or my broker (a glass-studio specific guy out of some state in the midwest) and my local broker can't find anyone to touch a home business of my type.

I know people have studios on their property in other states...
Old 07-27-2020, 03:14 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
check with Susan Gott in Tampa, as I recall she had her studio on her home premises.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Epstein View Post
I don't know if Florida is just terrible (it is) but none of the insurances I've spoken w/ or my broker (a glass-studio specific guy out of some state in the midwest) and my local broker can't find anyone to touch a home business of my type.

I know people have studios on their property in other states...
Did you ever call GAS?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:17 AM

rodman gilder miller is on a distinguished road
I been insuring my artist studio for over 25 years without a problem. If they need another modifier, use glass: "glass artist studio." It is succinct and accurate.

I was told from the start to avoid terms that stress the industrial aspects of the studio. Thousands of degree...no. Glory hole, no,no. Bushy reducing flame no way. Flame, even worse. And don't invite the agent over when 3 of your best buddies are pulling cane.

After a couple of years without claims they may be more understanding.My agent is happy: I've made no claims. I'd say knock on wood, but there is not much wood in the studio.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Did you ever call GAS?
Yes, I just got this reply:

"Our board members have separate policies for their home and their studio. They have a homeowner policy for their home and a separate business policy to cover their studio (and in their case, the garage that functions as their studio). The business policy covers the building and its contents. They also have an umbrella policy for the whole property (extra coverage and excess liability insurance). If your studio isn't a separate building, it may be more complicated

You may want to consider insuring it as a hobby workshop rather than a business. This may go over better…business often means customers, employees, and traffic (fedex, etc). Also, if you can explain your equipment to the insurers, and if this is difficult for people to understand, you can compare them to “appliances” if each of your pieces of equipment has its own outlet plug-in. Unless you are actually planning to establish a full-on business at home, they encourage you to claim it as a “hobby workshop”.

This is the direction I was going in, and just purchased an umbrella policy, but my agent says my homeowners will drop coverage in a similar situation.

Thanks Tom, I'll give Susan a call. Need someone in FL who has tackled this issue.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 AM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Best to work with one broker for all. One of the traps here is getting overlapping coverage and having the two overlapping insurers point fingers at each other as to who is primary and who is secondary.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:49 AM
The Old Gaffer

I like that "Hobby workshop"- we stick do-dads together.

Best not to describe a gloryhole as "an unvented open flame heating device. "

When we had our open air glassworks in Santa Fe surrounded by multi million dollar galleries all within about 60 feet, we had to get a rider increasing our liability to three million dollars. It was pricey but business was great. That studio is what introduced me to moly furnaces. No open flame at all.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I like that "Hobby workshop"- we stick do-dads together.

Best not to describe a gloryhole as "an unvented open flame heating device. "

When we had our open air glassworks in Santa Fe surrounded by multi million dollar galleries all within about 60 feet, we had to get a rider increasing our liability to three million dollars. It was pricey but business was great. That studio is what introduced me to moly furnaces. No open flame at all.
My $3 million liability w/ $3 million property insurance at my commercial location was $700/year.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:00 PM
The Old Gaffer

my three mil was tacked on to the existing policy. As I said, pricey but... I had insurance on the other hand.