CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Anders Rydstedt is on a distinguished road
Acid finishing source

Im trying to find a source for acid etching soda lime glass vessels. I know theres been a fair bit of discussion on acid etching here. Im wondering if anyone had a contact for a "shop" or factory that would be willing to do it for me.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The very last acid shop around was Tiffin Glass in Tiffin Ohio. However, Carol passed away last year and Crystal Glass closed up. . Adan was still cutting heavy glass there but I think the commercial acid shop is gone. HIS Glassworks had an etching material they were selling a number of years ago. I used to etch my soda limes using ammonium Bifluoride with mixed results. It's not safe.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
I use the varietch cream from HIS. Get the pail. I've had success "massaging" the piece for the 5 minutes it has to be on there and it helps get a no streak finish. I wear shoulder gloves, respirator, goggles, and an apron. Scoop what you can back into the pail when you're done. Do a first rinse in a bucket or other container suitable for your piece. Neutralize the solution with baking soda and let the solids settle out. Pour off the water and throw solids in the trash. Do second rinse in the sink. That's my process anyway.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:30 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
I ran across a small crystal factory last year in Halifax, Nova Scotia that still does acid etching. They grey cut their pieces and then acid polish them but all their wares are lead crystal.
There were also a couple of commercial bottle companies that did acid etching. I had a job that required 2000 wine bottles to be etched and we sent them to a bottle decorator, but that was about 10 years ago.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:36 PM
The Old Gaffer

I know the Halifax shop. It isn't pertinent. They sure are old school out of Ireland.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 PM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
HIS also has the more liquid formula and I have used it successfully. They ship it in crystal form that you add boiling water to.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:27 AM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hopman View Post
HIS also has the more liquid formula and I have used it successfully. They ship it in crystal form that you add boiling water to.
Never add water to acid always acid to water. Considering the exothermic reaction when mixing acid flakes to water I donít see why you would need boiling water.

https://m.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Hydrofluoric-Acid-Burn
Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Campbell View Post
Never add water to acid always acid to water. Considering the exothermic reaction when mixing acid flakes to water I donít see why you would need boiling water.

https://m.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Hydrofluoric-Acid-Burn
I just followed the directions...

https://www.hisglassworks.com/shop/e...wder-html.html
Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 PM

Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
Some aluminum brighteners are HF solutions. I've found them up to 10% and sometimes mixed with other acids. Here's one at 5 gallons for $50.

https://parts-for-pressure-washers.m...nt=12273995905

I'd just like to see what kind of finish it gives and will probably find something in a gallon jug to run a few tests.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:26 PM
The Old Gaffer

I don't know how to stress how dangerous HF solutions are.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 PM

Anyone even thinking about using acid should have some calcium glutonate on hand. I agree with Pete I've seen some nasty burns from poor handling. In the scientific trade it's hard not keeping and using acid. Use it all the time and accidents are bound to happen.

The aluminum brightener is really useful in removing any grey reduction left on color after the fact. I use it to remove or decorate silver flash.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 PM
The Old Gaffer

calcium glutemate is injectionable below the site. It needs training in how to use it. Having it is far from enough.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:37 PM
(((0)))

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hopman View Post
Same way I did it. You just pour hot water into the bottle. The actual acid concentration is so low it doesn't react. That being said ALWAYS follow directions, and study MSDS (now just SDS) carefully.

The nastiest HF solution I've ever worked with is for removing discoloration from stainless steel welding. The shop I worked for gave me the stuff, and warned me to be careful. I always wore gloves, eye protection, and a respirator when working with acid solutions (which was every day). They had to supply me with cartridges that filter mercury fumes (a by-product of the process). I used the stuff on one big job, put the jar back in the box it came in, and stashed it in a safe spot in my spray booth. A year later I was rearranging my area, and picked up the box. The lid and upper half inch of the cardboard box crumbled like dust in my hand.

I've seen enough to keep a safe distance.

PP-22 Passivating Paste (2).jpg
Old 04-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Shawn Watt is on a distinguished road
Iíve used the vari etch stuff from HIS. The glass has to be really clean before you etch it. Also spruce pine etches nicely. Cristalica did not for whatever reasons. I tried it several times and it turned out really spotty and streaky. I had to sandblast to fix it
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM
The Old Gaffer

Acid is actually meant to work leaded glasses, not Soda Limes. At best it's spotty. I would sandblast and then etch. Your experience with the cristalica would indicate less than perfect mixing if I were to take a guess. I suppose it could be demon borax but I have no real basis to say that except SP doesn't have any.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
calcium glutemate is injectionable below the site. It needs training in how to use it. Having it is far from enough.
I understand but it is also used as a first response topically. I have a tub of the stuff and we had it in tubes at the scientific shop. It may be one of those things you need to get prescription for. I had to look it up to spell it yesterday and it clearly says to use it as a topical salve and then call 911.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

Concentration matters. I think one of the silliest scenes in "Breaking Bad" is episode 2 when Walt goes into his High School chemistry class store room coming out with six 4 liter bottles of HF to dissolve the guy in the bathtub. I'm trying to imagine any high school in the world which would have even a liter of HF in stock. I never had the cream. I wasn't aware of it.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 AM

My HS chem lab had a glass jar with 500g of white phosphorous, next to a glass jar with 1.5kg of red phosphorous. I remember because my physics class spent 2 weeks inventorying the room for the new teacher. He commented how dangerous it was and speculated on the size of the explosion and reaction if a jar broke. We didn't believe him. He then proceeded to cut a small piece of red phosphorous, put it in the fume hood, and touched it with a bunsen burner. The resultant magenta flame produced clouds of phosphoric acid gas that the fume hood could barely keep up with. It destroyed the asbestos/wire pad. Then we heard some coughing and commotion outside- opened the door and realized the fume hood dumped not to the roof but directly into the awninged hallway. The teacher's response was to grab us all and hide in a back room.

So nothing would surprise me about a HS chem lab. Mythbusters did test the HF on a pig in a bathtub and it so didn't work.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Its poisonous - a spill the size of your palm will kill you, ive heard, its not the acid effect its the fluoride - knocks out your internal organs
Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

HF attacks your bone marrow giving you a reaction much like Leukemia. It's why the injection below the injury site is necessary. It will dig until it finds calcium.