CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Tank liner material?

Looking around at the different materials available to use as a furnace tank liner. Anybody have a particular material they like that is currently on the market?

Context: a glassblower who runs a small press-glass operation needs to re-line his furnace and approached me for help. I have never run or built a tank furnace before, so my knowledge is all theoretical, not practical. His furnace is small (the tank is only about 18" x 13" x 9"), which makes me think we could get away with the extra seams from using regular-sized bricks, if larger blocks prove impractical to source or use.

Current options:

AZS block or cast liners - Not well-suited for this particular job. Too expensive, too thermal shocky, and way overkill for this particular furnace.

AZS brick (Vision bricks) - Not bad on paper, but I've heard of multiple glassblowers who didn't like how these held up when used below the glass line.

High-alumina brick (Korundal XD) - My current go-to option. Have heard reasonably good things about them holding up, although I'd love to use something that didn't have a tendency to throw stones as it aged.

Flux block/high-silica block - This would be my preference, except I can't find anybody making the damn things anymore. All the sources I can find references to were supplying the West Virginia glass industry years ago and have all gone out of business.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 PM
PotatoFish

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I'd say the Korundal is going to be your best bet. AZS is the best, but, as you pointed-out, it's costly and touchy heat-wise.

You're not gonna find the flux blocks anywhere. There might be some languishing in a warehouse or barn somewhere, but for all intents and purposes you should consider them extinct.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:19 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
If you could get the bricks cut so that there were five, I'd do the korundal/ All the brick joints in nine inch straights will kill you. Otherwise if you don't want money in it, invest a pot and run it into the ground. It's really too small to be an effective tank and you know why it isn't freestanding already. Vision is an AZS with clay binder holding the AZS chunks together and you won't like it. Not for contact. Minteq will likely be out of the price range. Try to build so the pot can be removed without destroying the rest o the tooling.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:51 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
You won't be sad investing an AZS crucible. A buddy of mine did it on my recommendation 3 years ago in his 300# furnace and it's still holding up well.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I have no arguments with Jordan except that you cite costs. You do get what you pay for.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the great responses everybody. I love having a place to ask niche technical questions like this, where you can get back good information based on real-world experience.