CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 07:20 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Same. I feel like I have answered a million questions over the years here, but I have never gotten upset when the person never returns.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:46 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I inevitably revert to the old adage:

"You can always tell a glassblower but you can't tell them much."

If I was going to make this sort of thing, I'd have used a ceramic material. A large diameter alumina tube from Coorstek would do it.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:14 PM

Richard Huntrods is on a distinguished road
I've seen it in some of my other endeavors. Mostly when I was consulting in computers and the punters always wanted me to design a system for them, and would later return with "the salesman at the store said you're wrong so I bought what he told me to buy". I always enjoyed it later when the 'deal of the week' cratered and they asked me how to fix it and I would always respond "sorry - you'll have to deal with the guy who sold it to you. I'm just wrong, remember?".

I've also done a ton of programming over the years, and more than a fair share for people who would never thank you at all (I'm talking freebies cause I felt like it). As has been said, you either let it get to you, or you don't.

Still, "gimme gimme gimme gimme... now piss off" does wear a bit thin.
-R
Old 03-08-2021, 03:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

I do sell crucibles. I designed these for Engineered ceramics at the time and brought the designs to High Temp after having some substantial issues with Engineered.

One of the constnats is that people just get pissed when they have to deal with the sales arm for High Temp. That's Mary Beth and me. When Roger, the president of the company sat down in the clay dust with me he said "we have made some crucibles but we can't sell them." I indicated that I could. We both agreed that I would be the sole sales arm for high Temp on any pots I designed. That's true today. High Temp as a business has one client each month that gets billed for all the pots. That's me. It is far easier for the High Temp folks to listen to one client.

People continue however to bitch that they can't get a better price from High Temp. They wouldn't. They would have tons of individual billings and they don't want them. It's another variant on the notion that you can always find a better price or maybe better, for free. High temp is already the lowest price pot out there.

Free is what Craftweb does. You can buy your pots from other manufacturers, I don't push them. Free is the advice for everything. Somehow I suspect that people will pay more attention to advice because it costs money. I do think that if you pay for it, you're far more likely to pay attention.

I might note that Richard is one of the whisperers on my shoulder when it's time to chuck someone out of here. He has good radar senses.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:16 AM

Jesse Bogenrief is on a distinguished road
Wow

Results: someone suggested inocel metal. I contacted a company and decided purchased some. I haven't put it in yet so I can't give you results yet. As far as the personal things directed towards me, awesome guys!! If you don't want people to ask questions or talk then I'm confused what talk craft webs purpose is.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

It is almost never the case here that the first idea works when probing differing designs, so we have what is called "Conversation" and that's a two way street.

Inconel by they way isn't going to work.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:08 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post

If I was going to make this sort of thing, I'd have used a ceramic material. A large diameter alumina tube from Coorstek would do it.

BINGO! The man hit it on the head. The best fix of them all.