CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 01:30 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
So I bought an oven element and am going to add it to the lehr. I recall someone suggesting that the thing can be successfully bent before actually firing it with little difficulty. So I wonder if anyone can expand on that.

I have always heated Kanthal to a red heat when I want to bend it but I'm not quite sure what the rules are with this thing. 3600W 240V oven element. Bending it would make life a lot easier going through the wall.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:44 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
Peter I have used 4 of these years ago. Or something all ready bent.

WB44T10010 Range Oven Stove Bake Heating Element Bottom Element Unit Assembly for GE Hotpoint.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:37 AM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig;if you buy them from a manufacturer they are still affordable and you can choose length, effect, single or 3 phase, how much dead length close to the terminals, choice of terminals etc. You can also bend, shape them any way you like to fit your space. You can do a 180 degree bend with about a 1” radius .This can only be done before they are fired the first time. So you buy straight elements and bend them yourself[/

The ones I get from a manufacturer can be bent cold by hand before they have been fired. They’re quite soft. They are just straight elements when I get them
Old 01-27-2021, 07:14 AM

How did it go with your annealer?
Old 01-27-2021, 07:45 AM
The Old Gaffer

I am going to try with the one kanthal element in place today actually. I need to measure the actual draw on the element since I am counting watts around the shop. It's still a $17.00 penalty every time I exceed 5000 watts for a half hour. So, I need to know Mary Beth is not running the tank de-icer for the horses and stuff like that.

I don't do this to make a living at this point so I'm fairly slow. We've been splitting the next two years firewood which is about done, an impressive pile of over 12 cords, I suspect more. One tractor lifts the big oak off the ground with the forklift and drops it in the splitter on the other tractor. No one gets hurt.

So, I may just hold that element in reserve. It's 3500 Watts and I want to see what the actual draw on the kanthal will be. Now that I have the wire isolated, I can get a clamp meter on it.

The glass I'm still interested in making is really studying the chromophores in silver colloidal glasses with very tiny percents of Copper doping. As little as four grams in 20 lbs. There's no clear involved. Then the finish work gets sandblasted and that really reveals the travel of the color well. It's a good thing there's no market. It would never sell anyways.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:01 AM

5000W - youll have to start making fused jewelry in your microwave?
Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 AM
The Old Gaffer

It's making the 30KW Onan generator with the ford straight six engine that runs on propane more realistic to put in service. It had a downside of making noise and the other downside would be my neighbor complaining.

I have lots to do in the shop while the lehr is heating up. If the one element gets it close, I can always turn on a second element for a short burst and that won't be running for a half hour. The problem with doing other stuff is that usually involves grinding or polishing, all of which can push the ceiling of the demand system. Six hundred dollar electric bills just won.t work.

I also contemplate converting the lehr to run on gas but I'm really leery of doing that. Perhaps a booster burner..