CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-13-2021, 11:04 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Hey Travis!

Were you affected by the earthquake ( 7.1) ?
Old 02-13-2021, 07:14 PM

Travis Frink is on a distinguished road
No effect whatsoever here on Shikoku island. Thanks for your concern.

It’s almost exactly 10 years since the Great East Japan earthquake hit Fukushima- where this one hit. No tsunami this time according to the news. They really need a break.

Things like that make us nervous cuz there is a big earthquake predicted for our area too. Every time there’s a decent size earthquake here (and they are not uncommon), we look around wondering if this is IT. Can’t really live a happy life worried about if your going to die today, though, can you....
Old 02-13-2021, 08:17 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I'm a sheepdog at heart.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:25 PM
Drone

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I spent the first 28 years of my life in the SF Bay Area. K-12 we spent doing earthquake drills. The same "duck-and-cover" method from the A-bomb scare of the 1950's. It's now a Pavlovian response in me to find a table to crawl under and cover my head.

When the Loma Prieta quake hit in '89 I remember uttering "here we go." I still don't know how I knew it was going to be bad. The first second was not that remarkable. Started like dozens of others I grew up with.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:51 PM

Travis Frink is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Vriethoff View Post
I spent the first 28 years of my life in the SF Bay Area. K-12 we spent doing earthquake drills. The same "duck-and-cover" method from the A-bomb scare of the 1950's. It's now a Pavlovian response in me to find a table to crawl under and cover my head.

When the Loma Prieta quake hit in '89 I remember uttering "here we go." I still don't know how I knew it was going to be bad. The first second was not that remarkable. Started like dozens of others I grew up with.
I was in a large room here years ago when everyone’s phone went ballistic with the warning that a big earthquake was going to hit nearby. Everyone went under their desks and I had no idea what was going on. Then I realized I’m just too big (long and tall) to fit under most Japanese desks. Being tall, I’d also be the first one to know if dangerous things were falling from above. That one ended up being centered in Osaka or Kyushu so we dodged that one. And yes I know that feeling of “here we go”. I also know people who seem to be able to sense when a big earthquake is on the way a day or so in advance. Animals too. Apparently squid are of particular interest.