CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 11:35 AM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Evolving Business Of Selling Art

Now that it is obvious that we must evolve with a changing market due to these trying times to survive as artists, Im wondering who else has started selling their work direct through online venues recently. What are your experiences with various venues? How are you handling payment? So much to learn and experiment with. Lets talk about it and help each other out.

Ill start it off. When the virus shutdowns hit I decided to break from the brick and mortar galleries I am with and start selling direct. Im having good results on Facebook, Instagram, and my own site and I use PayPal for payment. Unfortunately two of the galleries I was with have announced their permanent closures. Really sad to see. Others?
Old 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
Only use PayPal to accept online payments. Avoid Venmo and Zelle unless you know and trust the buyer.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Samuel View Post
Only use PayPal to accept online payments. Avoid Venmo and Zelle unless you know and trust the buyer.
Thanks, Rich. I have a PayPal. My wife uses Venmo for friends and family.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:57 PM

Ive been using PayPal for years. zero issues with them.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
I am still somehow busy. I don't know if it is a price thing, but I am still working with some galleries. I did pivot some from wholesale to more retail since this whole thing started. People think that if you have a website, you are "golden". So untrue. People don't come knocking at your door. It is like working yet another job. I have developed a "just for retail" line that is starting to gain some traction. I don't want to lose whatever wholesale customers that I have by competing directly with them. I have put pieces up on Etsy and they have gone nowhere. Again, people think that if you are on Etsy, the sales will magically appear... nope, more work. I take Paypal only, and have a Shopify website.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:22 AM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Have folks have repudiation issues with Zelle? Curious because my bank actuall support sending money that way.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:25 AM

Working online sales takes effort, market research, marketing, and a lot of intentionality. You have to understand if and how the online platform exposes and rates your work. You have to do marketing to drive people to your platform, and you have to really figure out your shipping solutions. Without investing time and money online is just a way to waste time. Done right is is worth it, but it takes effort.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:27 AM

One more thing about online, make sure whatever platform you use it does sales tax / use tax for you. You just can't do that by hand these days.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
Have folks have repudiation issues with Zelle? Curious because my bank actuall support sending money that way.
Scroll down to #5 and the "Final Thought.":

https://clark.com/personal-finance-c...0big%20trouble!
Old 07-12-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Working online sales takes effort, market research, marketing, and a lot of intentionality. You have to understand if and how the online platform exposes and rates your work. You have to do marketing to drive people to your platform, and you have to really figure out your shipping solutions. Without investing time and money online is just a way to waste time. Done right is is worth it, but it takes effort.
Spot on Art. I estimate I spend 25% of my time working on marketing. The payoff is huge though and I dont just mean monetarily. Controlling your own destiny is huge. I also find a lot of satisfaction in selling direct that just didn't happen with representation at Galleries.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:38 AM

Ron Mynatt is on a distinguished road
Virtual art shows

Since, most art shows are cancelled until some solution to covid is found.The new idea seems to be the art shows are doing virtual shows. The Wichita fall show has gone this way and I am trying to understand the way forward with this idea.I have tried to see how other shows have done this but with little success. What are the thoughts of this concept, is this the new normal that we will have to deal with.Pay them a jury fee and then hope that people will go online and then contact us from the show's virtual show.What would keep a show from allowing 10000 artist to apply * the jury fee.What a great deal for them.As an additional happy thought what are the thoughts on the Phili show in Feb.They have said the show is exempt since it is as follows :
"You have likely heard yesterday's announcement from the City of Philadelphia's Office of Special Events, stating that it canceled all large public events on public property like parades and major outdoor concerts through February 2021. We want to address any concerns you may have about this announcement impacting plans for the American Handcrafted® Show, Feb 13 – 15, 2021, in Philadelphia.

We have confirmed with management from the Pennsylvania Convention Center that the moratorium does not apply to tradeshows, conventions, and events held in controlled environments and venues like hotels or the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:01 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Philly attendance was bad enough prior to the disease. Who do you think will actually risk travel, hotel, food and attendance to do it?

Otherwise, Shows are becoming photographic contests.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Shows are becoming photographic contests.
Dale's been preparing for this moment his entire career.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mynatt View Post
Since, most art shows are cancelled until some solution to covid is found.The new idea seems to be the art shows are doing virtual shows. The Wichita fall show has gone this way and I am trying to understand the way forward with this idea.I have tried to see how other shows have done this but with little success. What are the thoughts of this concept, is this the new normal that we will have to deal with.Pay them a jury fee and then hope that people will go online and then contact us from the show's virtual show.What would keep a show from allowing 10000 artist to apply * the jury fee.What a great deal for them.
I dont think its the new normal at all. I have had quite a few customers contact me direct for sales recently after they have been ignored by the galleries that were selling them my work but have been closed. Social Media marketing and direct sales are the new norm. Do galleries and shows have any place in the new normal?
Old 07-27-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cazes View Post
I dont think its the new normal at all. I have had quite a few customers contact me direct for sales recently after they have been ignored by the galleries that were selling them my work but have been closed. Social Media marketing and direct sales are the new norm. Do galleries and shows have any place in the new normal?
I have one full time gallery/sales person and 1 part time internet marketing person. We pack at the gallery. That is going to be the new norm.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I have one full time gallery/sales person and 1 part time internet marketing person. We pack at the gallery. That is going to be the new norm.
I find my satisfaction level from selling direct to be very much higher than traditional gallery sales so far. More work of course but when has this ever been a good career for the casual dabbler? I am still trying to get consigned work back from one since closed san francisco gallery owner. Two months and a lifetime of excuses.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:50 PM

I think that if galleries skip the wine-and-cheese openings, they should be able to adjust pretty easily to re-opening with social distancing. Most of the time, you can visit even popular galleries and be the only one there. The art usually tends to be well-spaced, too.